1996 Seadoo GTI restart issues

Hello guys, I'm new to the world of ski ownership and recently picked up a 97 GTI. Before using the ski, I replaced all of the fuel lines, the fuel filter,cleaned the selector valve, cleaned the carbs, cleaned the tank completely and installed a new battery. The ski runs great on the trailer, fires right up with no choke, idles great, has crisp throttle response. The issues arise in the water though. Once in the water, the ski does not want to start up near as easily, and once it starts up it has no power. Basically, it will not idle at all, and you can feather the throttle to keep it running or hold it wide open and basically have a fast idle. After 5 minutes or so (rough guess) of this, everything goes normal and ski runs like a top at all speeds, idles fine for distance, has great response and never misses a beat. Run it along for a few minutes, kill it, restart instantly and its the same situation again.. I'm kind of at a loss on what to check. Now, the fuel gauge doesnt seem to read right, it has a freshly filled tank and only shows 2 bars on the gauge and the light will come and go as you run. Oil tank wasx about 1/2 full for all of this, and 1 time i did get an oil light while running but it did not affect the way it ran. The battery light has always been on on the ski from day one, battery voltage at idle is 13.2-13.3 and at 3/4 throttle or so is 13.7, so I do ot have an undervoltage issue. Anyone out there have any insight that may be able to help me solve this? Thanks!
    Last edited by Big4x4ride; 07-14-2014 at 11:00 PM. Reason: entered wrong year

as long as filters are clean in carb, selector knob is working, and all is kosher, I would try a different cdi. I had one that gave me similar problems, it would start run great, bring it to idle, pull key, restart and it wouldnt go anywhere, eventually it would take off and run great then same thing. I pulled tank, went thru carbs two or three times, several plugs, new fuel lines, finally I tried another brainbox and solved the problem.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jimfleming88 View Post
    as long as filters are clean in carb, selector knob is working, and all is kosher, I would try a different cdi. I had one that gave me similar problems, it would start run great, bring it to idle, pull key, restart and it wouldnt go anywhere, eventually it would take off and run great then same thing. I pulled tank, went thru carbs two or three times, several plugs, new fuel lines, finally I tried another brainbox and solved the problem.
    it could also be your needle and seats in the carbs sticking. Did you replace those when you cleaned the carbs? You mentioned you replaced the lines but dis you open them up and clean the filters? After that I would think you need to check the grounds. If they haven't been replaced they probably should be. Trim your plug wires back at the boot and replace the plugs also before you go buying expensive parts. If this doesn't cure it replace the cdi and or the rectifier. I'm betting it's a fuel delivery issue.

The he other electrical issues with the gauge are either the mpem or the fuel baffle. Read the thread at the top of this section of how to DIY fix or just replace it.

The carbs were actually never pulled. I pumped some brp engine tuner through them and all was good. Once it gets out of the no rev mode this thing runs like a scalded ape, never misses a tick until you actually kill it purposely, then it all goes bad again. I'm reading that it could actually be the rectifier, which could also be my battery light issue as well. I'm leaning towards electrical and not fuel as it acts great once up and going, never seen a carb work so intermintently, but have seen electrical gremlins like this occur before.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    If the carbs have never been pulled I would do it before you do a top end job. IMO. You would be supprised how little it takes for these motors to act up. It dosent take much for these to rev like normal out of the water but once you put a load on the pump it's a whole different ball game.
    verify the carbs are clean then I would say rectifier also

yes- most problems occur with carb issues, filters inside of carbs are very common problem. sometimes they need cleaned out after a season. they will either make unit run out of fuel, hard starting, or often unit will shut off like you pulled key, then fuel catches up and you can restart and go. didnt know carbs hadnt been pulled. running cleaners thru fuel doesnt work and can make things worse - such as debris or sticky needle that remains open - gas can siphon and fill entire engine, had it happen to me before.

Ok will do. The tuner was pumped directly into te carbs, not mixed in fuel actually. Same way we clean outboard carbs periodically. I'll go ahead and yank em though an clean em up.

Just ordered in 2 complete carb kits and a new rectifier. Hopefully one or the other solves the issue. I do appreciate the help for sure guys!

Today I went out to mess with the ski on the trailer (parts wont be here until Saturday). I pulled the red wire loose from the rectifier, no difference.. It actually was hard to start on the trailer and did not want to idle, same symptoms as in the water. After thinking about it, the one thing that has changed before putting it in the water was me reinstalling the flame arrestor and airbox assembly. I removed that and checked, the arrestor was pretty dirty actually. Once again tried to start it, and it started easier and idled and ran.. Could it really be that simple?? Just a dirty arrestor?? I cleaned the arrestor, and dropped it back into the carb, once again it fired right up now and idled just fine and had great response. I'm kind of at a loss right now.. On another note, from what I gather, the battery light is triggered by undervoltage?? My battery is 12.5V not running, 13.2 at idle and 13.4 at about 3/4 throttle.. Apparently its charging, and doesnt have low voltage.. Any ideas there?

Thread Information