Thread: Marathon FL trip report
07-15-2014, 06:01 AM #1
Marathon FL trip report
Recently spent 4 days in Marathon FL; had a good time and learned a lot about riding in the keys.
1. The water in the Marathon area is VERY shallow. You have to go at least 1/3 mile off shore before it's even 5 feet.
2. You must follow the marked channels to get to "deep" water; otherwise, you will either get grounded or suck up seagrass. The "real" ocean is about 3 miles offshore, then it drops off to deeper water.
3. If you run aground, the bottom is mucky in many spots and you can lose your shoes.
4. Don't know if it's the usual, but seaweed was very bad and everywhere. I had to stop and clear the intake grate at least 3 times a day. It was very heavy at the boat ramp and was impossible not to get clogged up when launching/loading.
5. There is a large portion of the keys that are off limits to PWC's.
I recommend you check out this document (page 2) for the PWC exclusion / restriction zones:
I stayed at the Sea Scape motel. They have a ramp and docks on property.
I rode out to Sombrero reef twice and snorkeled off the ski. This reef is easy to spot from the shore due to a lighthouse at the reef (3 miles off shore).
There are numerous water front restaurants with dockage.
Still would recommend it, just know what to expect.
Last edited by Xspook; 07-20-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By 83Gator in forum Open DiscussionReplies: 87Last Post: 10-30-2013, 12:44 PM
By Jeff C in forum Sea Doo Open DiscussionReplies: 5Last Post: 07-18-2005, 02:24 PM
By Shibby1485 in forum 4-Tec PerformanceReplies: 9Last Post: 07-08-2005, 10:14 PM
By Jeff C in forum Sea Doo Open DiscussionReplies: 4Last Post: 07-08-2005, 12:53 PM
By Gforce in forum Sea Doo Open DiscussionReplies: 3Last Post: 05-26-2005, 06:19 PM