Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Goodbye GTR & superchargers.

I've finally had enough of the SC "grenade" specter hanging over my head and sold my GTR. Too bad because it's a nice ski, but the thought that SC could pop at any time just isn't worth it.
    "I know, I know.... if it fails it's somehow my fault, Improper maintenance, waited 25 months to do a rebuild, synthetic oil, jumped a wave etc." Yeah right

I thought about going Yami now, but they're having problems with the paint. "2014 and they can't paint properly"

After driving my first RXP I never thought I would go back to two strokes, but I miss being able to jump a wave without worrying about my engine mounts breaking. Anyway what would you all recommend for a solid wave jumping platform. I was thinking a GP1300R, or maybe a 96 XP. Any opinions would be welcome.

+1
    I think you are crying wolf without a real need. Yes of course there are those sc that have failed but as with any thing that is mechanical something can break even with proper maintenance. Do the maintenance at the right time and take care of it and ride and enjoy what you have. Dont think that the two stroke xp isn't going to fail you either. I have 350 hours on mine and still going strong.

ll you want to do is jump waves then the xp is supposed to be a great jumper.

+1
    I got to agree with 04gtxsc..............yes SC's can give someone major issues. But that is true for just about any ski. No matter what you ride your going to be worrying if your already worrying.

Going old school isn't going to solve anything. In fact I'd say you have a greater chance of issues. If you really want to leave SC's behind I think about the only ski I'd look at is the Yam. VXR. Everything else is going to have you wishing for more.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by skylolow View Post
    I got to agree with 04gtxsc..............yes SC's can give someone major issues. But that is true for just about any ski. No matter what you ride your going to be worrying if your already worrying.

Going old school isn't going to solve anything. In fact I'd say you have a greater chance of issues. If you really want to leave SC's behind I think about the only ski I'd look at is the Yam. VXR. Everything else is going to have you wishing for more.
    Agreed...get an older VXR that isn't prone to the paint issue. Done deal.

+1
    I just bought a closeout 2013 VXR ... I love the ski and then I read about nano eggshell thread here... so every time I jump a wake its in the back of my mind now. <Ugh> Seems everything out has pros/cons.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=209481

Banned User
    +1
    Thoughts like the OP posted are exactly why im sticking with my 2 strokes. The expense of repairing these 4 stroke sc motors is outrageous to me and not a risk I want to take right now. Thays with me doing all of the wrenching.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 04gtxsc View Post
    I think you are crying wolf without a real need. Yes of course there are those sc that have failed but as with any thing that is mechanical something can break even with proper maintenance. Do the maintenance at the right time and take care of it and ride and enjoy what you have. Dont think that the two stroke xp isn't going to fail you either. I have 350 hours on mine and still going strong.

ll you want to do is jump waves then the xp is supposed to be a great jumper.
    I get what you're saying, and that's what I was thinking when I bought the GTR. The problem is still there though, I just chose to accept / ignore it. I no longer feel the need to justify gambling with a crappy design. If I just rode flat water it wouldn't weigh on me as much, but I ride in choppy water 80% of the time.
    Going to an older two stroke is not without issue either. It's just that the initial costs, and costs associated with it's failures are less, and I can't think of any that require you to spend $400 in general maintenance costs every two years. I know I'll catch crap from people defending the design based on cost etc. , but if Yami can design a SC that doesn't grenade into the engine internals at a similar price point then why can't SeaDoo?
    I really liked my GTR, but I'm no longer going to accept a design with that much catastrophic potential. When they fix it, they might get me back as a customer.

I did consider a VXR/S but that doesn't solve my craving for a wave jumper.

How many hours did you put on the GTR?
    Since you want a wave jumper, A Honda R12 Non turbo might be a good fit for you if you can find one ,and they are VERY reliable.

It Wont have the performance of your GTR , but will still provide more than adequate power for jumping ,and it's hull is definitely a jumper. Will be more reliable than the GTR , and a lot more reliable than just about any 2 stroke.

+1
    The X4 is a GREAT wavejumper.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by abmobil View Post
    How many hours did you put on the GTR?
    I sold it with 25.

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    The X4 is a GREAT wavejumper.
    Is the X4 the old 96 XP and 97 SPX?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information