Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Salt water ingestion

So as you can see in the title I had a ski that drank some salt water. Quite a bit actually.

Anyway, I have it all torn down now but an curious as to how I should make sure the head gets dry and the vales don't get messed up. Should I get a valve spring compressor and remove the vales to make sure everything is all dry and clean or is there another way of going about it? I will take it to a machine shop for them to double check it's GTG but I'd like to prevent any further damage if I can as this head is not even 20hrs off a refresh w/ update valves etc.

+1
    I would pull the head and inspect the valves and the cylinder bores.

+1
    Yeah, I have the head pulled as well as the rest of the motor. It sat with salt water in it for quite a little while so I just tore it all the way down so I can rebuild it or part it out. Im making this motor my little project because I got it for free. I just don't want the valves to get rust on them.

So far I've dried out the intake and exhaust ports as best I can, and WD40'd them to make sure all the moisture was displaced.

+1
    I would pull the valves, clean everything up, and at least lap them back in. The valve seats will rust.

+1
    Okay, that what I was worried about. I'll go look for a valve spring compressor tomorrow so that I can remove the valves. Is lapping them in something that I can manage myself without a shop having to do it. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and am pretty patient as well.

+1
    If you dont want to buy one, you should be able to rent a valve spring compressor tool from your local auto parts store. You will also need a valve lapping tool and some lapping compound. Auto parts store should carry those too. The tool is basically a stick with a suction cup on the end. Put a little compound on the valve seating area and twist the tool back and forth in your hands. Raise it up a little after a few spins and do it again. Repeat until you have a nice even seating surface on the valve and the valve seat. Make sure you dont get any of the compound on the valve stem or guide. Also check the seating area on the valves and the valve seats for pitting. Replace as needed.

+1
    You should be able to find some videos on youtube that will show you how to lap valves in. Its not that hard.

+1
    Okay awesome! This will be a good learning experience it sounds like. I'll try and stop by the auto parts store to get that compressor tool tomorrow so I can get those valves out!

+1
    What valve spring compressor tool do you use? I rented a cheap one from oriellys and it sucks haha. Its the jaw type and it has clearance issue among other issues. I was thinking of ordering a snap-on valve spring remover.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information