1997 zxi 1100 idles fine but cuts off when you squeeze the throttle

I picked up a 1997 zxi 1100 for $300 last week and was told it needed carbs rebuilt and starter relay. Did both of those and syphoned the old fuel out and put new fuel in it. it will start and idle fine but as soon as you squeeze the throttle it will cut off. Any suggestions? Click on youtube link for video. Thanks in advance!
    Stevie
    Last edited by sws91489; 07-15-2014 at 08:17 PM.

+1
    Did you re place the fuel lines?Clean out the fuel petcock?Re build the fuel pumps?Pull the fuel pick up check the screens,Replace the fuel filter.Also check the pulse lines for cracks.

If it sat for a long enough time rubber can crack and gas can turn to sludge/varnish causing problems.How did the carbs look before the re build?

+1
    You've got a fuel problem for sure. Tell us more about what you did to the carbs.

I ran a clean line from a gas can straight to the carb and it still does it and you could clearly see the fuel flowing through the line so that rules out the lines, pickup and all that. As far as the carbs go I bought a rebuild kit pulled em completely apart, blew out all the Jets and put them back together. They looked pretty clean when I pulled them apart. The spark plugs a very oily and oil is literally running out of the exhaust.

I just check the compression and they were all 93 exactly. Which from what I've seen is low. But what would cause them all to be low by the exact same amount? I could see if they were all low by different amounts...
    Last edited by sws91489; 07-16-2014 at 05:51 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sws91489 View Post
    I just check the compression and they were all 93 exactly. Which from what I've seen is low. But what would cause them all to be low by the exact same amount? I could see if they were all low by different amounts...
    It's your compression gauge. Most people will tell you that all gauges read differently but the important thing is that the cylinders are read very close to each other. If you have a buddy with a compression gauge, borrow his and see what kind of compression numbers you get. You can also rent one free from Advance Auto Parts or Autozone.

+1
    Alot affects the readings.Most gauges read different.But other things also cause bad readings,You need a fully charged batt,a healthy starter,hold the throttle open completely while cranking.All those factors will affect the reading.

+1
    Try putting an ouce of gas in each carb throat,start it and pull the throttle,if it rev's up it narrows the problem to fuel pumps or carbs.as you have already taken the tank ,lines,ect out of the equation using an out side gas source already.

+1
    Just an FYI. You have a '96. The '97 didn't have purple one them.

Give it a shot of carb cleaner at the same time you are opening the throttle to see if the engine will pick up. It does look like you still have a carb issue. Does any fuel squirt into the carb throat when you throttle it (engine off)? If not, your accelerator pumps arent working.

Lots of oil on the plugs could be caused by sitting too long. The oil will gravity feed into the carbs, run down the intake and fill the bottom of the crankcase. Put it in the lake and run it for a while to flush out the excess oil. They don't like running on the hose for too long and it will make a huge mess in your driveway when it blows out a quart of oil.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    Just an FYI. You have a '96. The '97 didn't have purple one them.
    If that's a '96, you need to make sure it has the triangular plate on the front of the hull! The '96 ZXis had a problem with unexpectedly flipping over at high speed in smooth water. This was a mandatory recall. It will hurt you, so make sure you have it.

Thread Information