01 slx 1200 carb leak

whenever I start to engine and let it run for even a bit i have a small leak coming out of that diaphragm cover on the bottom. Gasket and diaphragm have no tears and are in new condition even. Any certain settings that would cause this? All i have done is let it idle for a bit I don't want to take it out with a leak like that. It is only on the far pto side also, runs fine otherwise

Banned User
    +1
    Check for dirt or something that would prevent sealing. I have accidentally trapped stuff in there and had a leak. Check to make sure the cover screws are tight too.

+1
    Yeah, thats very dangerous. Do not ride it until
    You fix the problem, vapors can explode. Take the screws off the diaphram cover and place the cover on a piece of glass to see if it lays flat. The diaphram goes in only one way. If its in ass backwards but its new,,,,,,it will leak. Make sure all the screws for the cover actually get tight and are not stripped.

Another scenario is that the diaphram didnt get in the grooves when installed and got pinched as the cover went on.

Report back with your findings.

Banned User
    +1
    There are no grooves for the diaphragm on the Keihin carbs.

cover had a small but big enough scratch out of that the gasket wasnt sealing, guessing they had the thing sitting awhile since there was other crap compacted into the scratch. cleaned it out and found a different keihin cover that works.
    Only problem I have now is that it idles great but cant get it to get up and go just bogs. Guessing it might be the gas since there is oil mixed in and im not sure or ratio. Oil pump is still hooked up even though it doesnt seem to be working. Middle cylinder is hot and outside 2 run a lot cooler.
    Any ideas besides gas mixture? carbs are clean

Another thing, Im not familiar with pwcs all that well but why on the exhaust do they have that hose going from an outlet on the top where it comes out the engine to another inlet down near the bottom of the pipe?

+1
    Thats called a stinger but i dont know what it does. Id be interested to find that out too.

^^good thought maybe it was routed wrong just didnt make sense to me at first

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by tld83 View Post
    ... why on the exhaust do they have that hose going from an outlet on the top where it comes out the engine to another inlet down near the bottom of the pipe?
    Quote Originally Posted by blairwill4 View Post
    Thats called a stinger but i dont know what it does.
    Id be interested to find that out too.
    The entire upper engine plus the exhaust manifold and the large exhaust pipe all have water jackets that cool the engine and exhaust. The water jackets do not extend beyond the exhaust exit from the large exhaust pipe.

To prevent the hot exhaust gases from cooking the rubber exhaust hoses and making the waterbox too hot to touch, a water stream is sprayed into the exhaust gas flow as it exits the large exhaust pipe. This exhaust exit is sometimes called the stinger. There is an small orifice which controls how much water gets sprayed into the exhaust. Too little water will allow excess temperatures and too much water will reduce engine performance. Different engines have different orifice sizes.

The water feed for the exhaust water injection comes through that small hose. At the feed end of the hose it is tapped into the pressurized water jacket for the exhaust pipe. On the red domestic and some other engines there is also a metal mesh filter screwed into the water feed fitting.

Thread Information