Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

First Race Wisdom Needed - 2015 Mark Hahn 300

Hello All, I am new to the site, but a long time jet boat /jet ski user. After reading through a few (hundred) post and a lot of onlineresearch I am considering giving PWC Racing a try. Always been a fan of speed,competition, and trying new things so it just seems like a fit. Based on multiplefactors I feel as though an endurance race may be the best first race formyself, so I am eying the novice stock class in the Mark Hahn 300 in 2015. Theinland lake and 6 months to prepare I hope will help with the learning curveand give me the ability to prepare properly.

Now that you know the background, I will get to the point ofthis post. I am the type to ALWAYS wants to be prepared, and even in my indepth research there is very little about what ALL is needed for a race likethis. There are short recommendations, but I am looking for some info from theexperienced people who will keep me from running to Home Depot at 10pm thenight before the race because I “Should” have something just in case. Also,logistics is a bit of an issue since I live in the Charlotte, NC area and willbe driving.

Here is what I have on my list as far as necessary so far:
    - Jet Ski (2013 RXT-X)
    - Trailer
    - 4 Wheeler
    - Gas (Currently estimating about 100 gallons tobe safe)
    - Multiple quick fill gas cans
    - Towels for fuel
    - PFD
    - DOT Approved Helmet
    - Goggles
    - Wet Suit
    - Neoprene Ski Shoes
    - Gloves (Probably two pair 1 for cold weather and1 pair of mx gloves that I usually wear)
    - All legally required ski gear (Registration,whistle, fire extinguisher, flare, etc….)
    - Race Numbers
    - 70”-80” of basic metal fencing for atv traction
    - Water, Gatorade, and something quick to eat
    - Basic tool kit
    - Spark Plugs
    - Oil/Coolant
    - Hosing Tape

Okay, so that is my current list of required race day items.Now for my list of questions which I cannot seem to find a lot of clarificationon:

- Is bringing a 4-wheeler/atv truly necessary, oris this something that I would be able to rent in the area? Again, I am comingfrom NC with a motorhome, and as I am sure many people have the sweet trailerset up with the lifted side by sides, 2 skis, work shop, and kegeratorIam not to this point yet and getting equipment there may be a challenge.
    - Is staying at the listed campground the mostconvenient location? Cost?
    - If I arrive Thursday evening will that give meadequate time to get all my ducks in a row in your guy’s experience?
    - If I bring a pit crew of 3 (2 very capable menand a female for extra hands) will this be enough?
    - What wet suits have you guys worn in this race previously? I am not that familiarwith Havasu weather in Feb and some of the videos it looks like an exoticdestination where the sleeveless options would be fine and other videos itlooks like I might be crossing the arctic. Is the JetPilot 3mm/2mm Suit andJacket combo a safe bet?
    - Stock Class: Now what exactly does this mean? Fromwhat I see in the pictures of previous races there were people driving in thestock class with handling upgrades (Grate/Handlebars/Grips/Sponsons), but then I waslooking at the previous rules and it sounds like only grips and seat coverswould be allowed? Are people running aftermarket tunes/ ECU’s in the stockclass?
    - Is GPS necessary or just convenient?
    - Are two way radios allowed to communicate withpit area?
    - Other than oil, coolant, filter, and checking hoses whatare you doing the week before the race to prep the ski for the race?

Okay, last question (I think)

In regards to purchasing a new helmet. Currently I have anolder helmet that I wear, but it definitely needs upgraded. Now I have read themany many…many helmet threads on here and I am not trying to rehash the visor,no visor, better in a crash, worse in a crash conversation. I want as much ofmy melon covered as possible, less concerned about falling off at high speedsand breaking my neck that I am about smashing it on my own ski, the water at 60mph, oron the bottom of someone else’s ski, so I am going with the closed face mx stylewith the visor and face shield removed. Okay, here is my question, can someoneplease explain to me the difference between the PWC specific ones and the nonPWC mx ones from a safety standpoint. I understand they have faster dryingmaterial, will weigh down with water less if I am floating, and have bettervents. But from a purely “I am smashing my noggin in the water against a hardsurface” do they have scientific advantage over the mx ones?

Well that is probably the most questions I have ever placedin a single post, but I would really appreciate your guys support fromexperience. I just want to come out and run the best race I can personally,finish, and not shoot myself in the foot by being unprepared.

Thanks Again!

+1
    PS. If someone knows of any good articles on the topic as well, I would love just to be pointed in that direction

Here is the most informative article on the topic I have found to this point on preparing for an endurance race:

http://www.pwcoffshore.com/Endurance_Racing.html

3. +1 by:

+1
    I am a new endurance racer and will be doing the hahn as well. I might be able to offer some input on what I have learned from people I have talked to as well and I am familiar with the Havasu area. I will try and answer as many questions as I can. Weather is Havasu can either be freezing or nice. I would recommend getting a Jet pilot touring coat as well in case it is a cold day.

Are you doing this race ironman or do you have a teammate?

There are two different stock classes. One is MFG Stock, almost as it came off the floor. You can change grips, seat grips, after market bilge I believe, and turf. That's it. There is a 4 stroke stock class, that allows for more mods. They follow the IJSBA rule book for this class. These boats can have much more work done to them including reflashed ECU.

Quick fill gas cans I am bringing two. Dump them in the ski, after you take off, your pit crew fills them back up. Gas prices are usually pretty good in havasu. I'm debating on buying a 50 gallon drum for fuel along with a few normal gas cans a 2 quick fill.
    You should be able to rent a quad in havasu, and I would just google quad rentals.

Thursday arrival sounds plenty of time. I plan to arrive late thursday night as well. Friday all day as a testing day and prep day, setting up the pit. should be plenty. Crazy horse campgrounds are a great place to stay and cheap. That time of year you can get great spots as well.

As far as endurance ski prep, everyone is different. I plan on doing exactly what you described. Oil, coolant, check all hoses, tighten screws, and so forth.

3 Pit crew will be perfect. Some people have way more. I will be bringing 3 people as well. 2 males and 1 female.

As far as the helmets go, non that I know of are water specific for crashing. They are impact tested to get the DOT approval. They say helmets are good for 5 years and then they are dead. I am purchasing a new one this week as well.

Hope that helps from my experience and research. Some teams go big, and some teams will be smaller like ours. It doesn't mean we can't be competitive.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by curtismarker View Post
    I am a new endurance racer and will be doing the hahn as well. I might be able to offer some input on what I have learned from people I have talked to as well and I am familiar with the Havasu area. I will try and answer as many questions as I can. Weather is Havasu can either be freezing or nice. I would recommend getting a Jet pilot touring coat as well in case it is a cold day.

There are two different stock classes. One is MFG Stock, almost as it came off the floor. You can change grips, seat grips, after market bilge I believe, and turf. That's it. There is a 4 stroke stock class, that allows for more mods. They follow the IJSBA rule book for this class. These boats can have much more work done to them including reflashed ECU.

Quick fill gas cans I am bringing two. Dump them in the ski, after you take off, your pit crew fills them back up. Gas prices are usually pretty good in havasu. I'm debating on buying a 50 gallon drum for fuel along with a few normal gas cans a 2 quick fill.
    You should be able to rent a quad in havasu, and I would just google quad rentals.

Thursday arrival sounds plenty of time. I plan to arrive late thursday night as well. Friday all day as a testing day and prep day, setting up the pit. should be plenty. Crazy horse campgrounds are a great place to stay and cheap. That time of year you can get great spots as well.

As far as endurance ski prep, everyone is different. I plan on doing exactly what you described. Oil, coolant, check all hoses, tighten screws, and so forth.

3 Pit crew will be perfect. Some people have way more. I will be bringing 3 people as well. 2 males and 1 female.

As far as the helmets go, non that I know of are water specific for crashing. They are impact tested to get the DOT approval. They say helmets are good for 5 years and then they are dead. I am purchasing a new one this week as well.

Hope that helps from my experience and research. Some teams go big, and some teams will be smaller like ours. It doesn't mean we can't be competitive.
    Thank you very much for the help, Really appreciate the reply. Still debating entering, would love to do the race, but the logistics of getting everything out there makes it difficult.

I had given up on this thread, figured I asked too many questions or everything was top secret

+1
    Not a lot of logistics out there for pit stops, but these top secret stops are part of winning the race. I think some of this will be trial and error. Ive heard great things about the race, but I only live 5 hours away.

+1
    Both of you should contact & have a lengthy discussion with " lasportsman ", he is a narrator on here he has raced the Hahn 300, he will be very helpful I am sure. Good Luck

8. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by OzarkYamMonster View Post
    Both of you should contact & have a lengthy discussion with " lasportsman ", he is a narrator on here he has raced the Hahn 300, he will be very helpful I am sure. Good Luck
    you don't need flares,avoid the metal fencing for traction get a atv in havasu are 2,3 places for rent Polaris or can am new models 4x4 and you are going to be good drums if you can get the 30 gallons are ligther (im always have the 50 gallons but in 2015 Im getting 30 gallons.) and you need a least 3 ,4 people in your pit crew any question let me know.-

10. +1 by:

Footstraps or footwedges .

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by curtismarker View Post

How did the race go for you Curtismarker??

+1
    How did you do? Would you do it again?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information