Carb adjustment for 2001 XL 800?? Rebuilt carbs, now starts but immediate HIGH RPM!

Been battling this beast for a while now. First did a SBT cylinder exchange replacing both cylinders, pistons, rings etc. Rebuilt the jet pump bearings etc. Got the battery all in order. Put it in the water and wouldn't start (although it started fine on dry land). Fellow at the launch immediatly asks me if I've rebuilt the carbs since it seems to just not do good "under load". Already had the carb rebuild kits on hand so did that. First issue after rebuilding carbs was it had lost its prime. Got it primed and it started right up... at like 6k RPMs... Shut it down. Thought maybe it was from the priming that it had too much fuel but that wasn't it. Next thing was to adjust the Hi adjustment screws (1/2 turn out). Still doing the same thing. Would the low idle adjustment screws being off do this? I know they're a pain in the arse to get to with the carbs sitting like they do since they are on the bottom but just wondering if this would even have anything to do with it before attempting that procedure.

I mean, what the hell could it be??

Any thoughts or experiences?

Thanks!

+1
    Sounds like an air leak to me.

I do notice when I just tried it again that if I keep the choke out some after starting that it acts pretty normal until I push the choke all the way back in. Does that give any further clue?

+1
    Still sounds like an air leak. Choke kinda confirms. If your low speed was putting in too much fuel it would bogg, not rev.

Thanks!

Thread Information