Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

How important is a Yamaha fuel filter VS one from an auto parts store? Stalling

The ski is a 96 1100 wave venture. Just rebuilt the carbs two weeks ago. Was in a hurry and Replaced the OEM in line filter with a generic clear filter from the auto parts store. The ski runs fine all ranges of the RPM and at wide open throttle. Usually the wife rides it and no problem. However today our son was on it jumping and cutting up , tight turns, etc and it would die out, but start right back up. I tried it and it seemed like it was running away from the fuel. The tank was about half full.

I notice that the filter seem to always hardly have any fuel in it and that the OEM filter isn't cylinder shaped but sort of taller and has an "up" arrow on it. Could this be the issue and does that's why that filter is shaped that way to hold or store more fuel in the filter VS the one that's currently on there? Only other thing I would guess it would be I s the external fuel pump maybe, but would think that at WOT it would show up which is not the case.

Might be an easy answer for you old salts but I'm a newbie to the PWC world. Always had boats.

Thanks guys !!

+1
    Might add that the fuel gauge is always flashing low to empty when in fact it is not. Probably the sending unit I assume but not the source of this issue. But again newbie to PWC. Just wanted to supply all the info.

+1
    No Yamaha mechanics here?

Not really answering your question but I've always thought the filter was shaped that way to help separate the water if any from the fuel

+1
    the pump is still pumping fuel, but I would personally get a smaller filter to try to keep air out of the system, any air is a disruption of fuel flow, those carbs don't have a fuel bowl like most carbs and depend on a steady flow of fuel

+1
    The oem ones are shaped to separate water from the fuel. That's why they are shaped like they are

+1
    Ok thanks so if the filter isn't the culprit any ideas why it's starving for fuel and dying only when cutting and jumping around??

Thanks

+1
    Get the OEM one. It does separate water from the gas, but it does have a screen and the design allows max fuel flow. If you go too small, you will restrict flow and stall. Had the same issue with a small aftermarket filter and it was the culprit. Can try a larger aftermarket one and Advances Discount sells one shapes like the OEM, but rather get the right one. It's the Purolator F20004. Google it and aee.

dont think that year had the "flapper" issue, do search and see if thats it?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by leejax01 View Post
    Get the OEM one. It does separate water from the gas, but it does have a screen and the design allows max fuel flow. If you go too small, you will restrict flow and stall. Had the same issue with a small aftermarket filter and it was the culprit. Can try a larger aftermarket one and Advances Discount sells one shapes like the OEM, but rather get the right one. It's the Purolator F20004. Google it and aee.
    Thanks for that Purolater #. Exact fit !! No ski repair shops local here to get the OEM filter, so I gave have that a shot. Same result however .......
    still scrathing head here.
    Will search the "flapper" thingy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information