09 FX SHO stripped and broken ride plate bolt

It never fails, something always goes wrong.

So I was able to get the sensor screws out without much issue. However when I was screwing the ride plate bolts into the frame, one of the screws broke off at the head. I honestly think this hole was stripped because of how hard it was to get the bolt in. I did get the new ride plate on.

Now what do I do?

I might be able to grab the bolt but it was pretty far in. Plus it was probably stripped.

My plan was to just replace the bracket and get some new screws. I'm not planning on doing any additional modding to the ride plate so getting the RIVA billet is kinda overkill I think.

The bracket I found at boats.net part number (F1B-U8572-00-00) for less than $15. Any other suggestions?

I'm with the cool kids Mowerpan's Avatar
    +1
    If you have a welder(or can take to a place that does) Weld a nut on it and make another attempt to get it out. The heat from welding it will also help break it free. Have done this on multiple things and works great.

+1
    Possible to take the plate off and get a small pipe wrench on it if it didn't break off in the hull? When hard going in was a sign that something wasn't right.

4. +1 by:

+1
    If you can grab the bolt take vise grips unscrew it out. Get you a tap set. Take you some penetrant spray, measure bolt get appropriate tap clean threads. Get new bolt.

Option two revert to option one but add a drill bit and heli coil

I don't have a welder but even if I get it out I don't see how that will help me if its stripped.

I figure replacing that entire bracket (pulling the broken screw with it) would fix entire thing. More hassle but if the threads are stripped in the bracket then I have to replace it anyways.

I found this thread to show how to replace it. While it doesn't look difficult to do the problem is getting to the damn thing. I still haven't put the free flow exhaust on so I'll do that at the same time. I swear...eventually I'm going to get this Stage 1 installation complete.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=154243

Quote Originally Posted by shrabber View Post
    If you can grab the bolt take vise grips unscrew it out. Get you a tap set. Take you some penetrant spray, measure bolt get appropriate tap clean threads. Get new bolt.

I was just going to replace the rideplate inserts that it is bolted to. I figured that would be easier and more reliable, or no?

8. +1 by:

@JC

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kur1j View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shrabber View Post

I was just going to replace the rideplate inserts that it is bolted to. I figured that would be easier and more reliable, or no?

Unscrew the Bolt first, You can easily weigh your options, If it's in there it may be more cross threaded than stripped. I personally would approach the hole with the Idea of trying to clean the threads first. If not you can easily drill the next size up retap and get another screw.

That barcket pops right out in 5 minutes with a heat gun! Silicone the new one in and your done or pull slug out on the bench then reinstall if its still good. Also you may want to upgrade to the riva HD brackets. Will help keep water out of the hull.

11. +1 by:

@JC

Quote Originally Posted by scittb View Post
    That barcket pops right out in 5 minutes with a heat gun! Silicone the new one in and your done or pull slug out on the bench then reinstall if its still good. Also you may want to upgrade to the riva HD brackets. Will help keep water out of the hull.
    yeah I think I'm just going to try and replace it. that bolt is in there good. I got some vise grips on it and it wouldn't even budge.

+1
    Same issues on my buddy's ride plate speed sensor, he drilled the broken screw off and re-tap it to next size, problem solved.

Thread Information