Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Calling all gel coat restoration experts!!

I got what I feel like was a great deal from my doo dealer on a yellow '04 RXP. Ski is solid, has 80hrs on a brp long block that they installed and they rebuilt the supercharger during their inspection before putting it in the showroom.

The problem... it was a one owner, BUT that one owner lived on a lake and the ski lived on a lift uncovered all summer every summer.

The gloss is gone from the gel coat. Does anyone have a good step by step polishing process to bring back the shine? ie pads and compounds to start and finish with.

I've tried random hard water spot and oxidation removers on other skis in the past with no real luck. Just looking for a known good process that others have used.

The other issue... The mats. They've all distorted and wrinkled in the sun. Is it simply drilling out the old rivets to remove them? I'm guessing hydro turf is the best replacement, just wondering about the old mat removal and the best way to go about sealing the holes that'll be left behind when the rivets are removed.

I've owned several gpr's in the past and have always wanted to try an RXP, finally got one! Just need to get her lookin good now.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!!

+1
    you may or may not be able to get the shine back
    I use a heavy duty polishing (cotton) wheel on a polisher (slow speed grinder)
    meguiar makes very good compound
    start with heavy cutting and end up with fine and wax
    not a easy job
    you can fill the rivet holes with good silicon

Spray it with IMRON CLEAR.. it will appear new again. Buy new Stick on Mats...... JETSPORTS Mats work well.

Thanks, I'll look into the meguiars

+1
    I recently bought an '04 GTX Limited that evidently lived the same way, in the sun and uncovered. I sanded my gel coat down lightly with 1200 grit and then again with 2000 grit. After trying various compounds with a buffer I couldn't get the gloss I desired so I did some internet searching and found a non abrasive polish made by Shurhold Industries called Yacht-Brite Buff Magic. That gave it the gloss I was looking for.

My Porter Cable 2474XP random orbital wouldn't cut it nor my 1400 max rpm buffer. Neither would create the heat needed for the compound to do it's thing so I used my high speed buffer at about 2000-2500 rpm's with a cutting foam pad.

ROLL TIDE ROLL
    +1

ROLL TIDE ROLL
    +1
    very impressed with how this guy does his boat (with pics)
    Little detail job...26' Regulator Before/After PICS

Thanks! That is helpful. I was turned on to wizard products' turbo cut. That seemed to cut through the bulk of the faded coat. Then I buffed it with their master shine polish and while it doesn't look brand new, it does look better than I expected I'd be able to get it. Now my dilemma is do I leave it plain or put new decals on it... Really doesn't look bad without any stickers

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by blackedout96 View Post
    Now my dilemma is do I leave it plain or put new decals on it... Really doesn't look bad without any stickers
    Is there is difference where the decals were? Is it very noticeable?

+1
    Get a good buffer and 3M rubbing compound.. It'll come out like new. Same thing happened to my old RXP, came right back to new.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information