2003 MSX 140 stator bad and oil in flywheel cover

Hey. Great info on this forum! My 2003 MSX 140 would not start so among other items I tested I found that the stator was not putting out proper voltage, it was actually 0 on one of the pairs during cranking. Anyway, I managed to get the flywheel off without removing the motor, but now I noticed a puddle of oil at the bottom of the flywheel cover. I am assuming this is not supposed to be there and is due to the front crankshaft seal?

How do I go about replacing the seal? I read somewhere that the back of the flywheel cover has the seal pressed into it so I would just need to remove that? Also, will I need to remove the engine? I have not removed the stator yet, that is next.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    How much oil was in there?

How many hours on this engine?

To remove the flywheel housing I think you would also need to unbolt the starter motor which is bolted to the engine on the front left side. Hidden under all the exhaust hardware.

I have never tried to remove the housing with the starter motor still installed. Hmmm, maybe it could work. If the starter snout was not stuck in the housing, which they often are.

The front crank seal is pressed into the rear of the flywheel housing. I am not sure if it is at all possible to change that seal with the housing still on the engine. Sure would be awkward to work on that in the hull!

There was enough oil in the bottom of the flywheel cover to feel like a puddle and coat my finger. I didnt pay any attention to how much oil may have came out when i first opened it. In addition to that oil, I must have sucked out about 1/4qt of oil from the bottom of the hull when i started this project as well. I haven't rode it since 2012 and can't recall the hours, nothing extravagant.

I will remove stator/bracket and see of I can remove the flywheel housing without removing the starter. It has already been very awkward working in there! Good times. You think the front crank seal would be the culprit leaking oil? There shouldn't be anything in that housing, correct (and at the bottom of the hull!)?

Banned User
    +1
    It is the front seal and I say replace it. 4 bolts hold the cover on. It is critical to get that cover sealed correctly to the case.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    It is the front seal and I say replace it. 4 bolts hold the cover on.

It is critical to get that cover sealed correctly to the case.
    With sealant.

To verify what parts I will need

Front Seal Gasket
    Flywheel Cover Gasket (I did not take cooling jacket cover off flywheel cover, so I am assuming that gasket is ok)
    Some new Loctite
    What type of crankcase sealer do you recommend?
    Anyone have a good stator for sale?

Did I forget anything?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy0789 View Post
    (I did not take cooling jacket cover off flywheel cover, so I am assuming that gasket is ok)

While you have it off, remove and clean out the small brass elbow fittings on the flywheel cover water jacket.

Sometimes those small elbow water passages get clogged up with bits of sand or whatever. If there are signs of significant gunk in the lower elbow you may want to remove the water jacket cover and inspect inside.

Thanks! I will check that and report back what I find.

Well I got the stator and flywheel housing off. A little difficult with the motor in, being as you cant see what you are doing, but not horrible. Helps to remove the metal water cooling bar/thermostat on the top of the engine (I also moved the gas tank forward). The seal was definitely leaking because you could see the oil marks down the back of the flywheel housing starting at the shaft downwards.

I tested the stator after I had it out and the ohm and continuity tests all passed! ARG! It didn't while it was installed! Then I wiggled the wires around a bit and then it began to fail the tests. Looks like the oil and vibrations may have taken a toll on the wires. Onward we go, maybe I will actually ride it this year.

Thread Information