2000 Polaris Virage cuts out loses spark

I have a 2000 Polaris Virage 700 that will run for a short period then it cuts out and loses spark. Battery has over 12 volts cranking. I am going to move the red purple wire over to orange to help with warm restarts any other suggestions?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by sltfan777 View Post
    I have a 2000 Polaris Virage 700 that will run for a short period then it cuts out and loses spark. Battery has over 12 volts cranking.

I am going to move the red purple wire over to orange to help with warm restarts any other suggestions?
    Unless you are having a no-warm-restart problem, leave the CDI Red/Purple wire per factory configuration.

Battery voltage over 12 volts while cranking, how was this measured?

Via my signature links for the red domestic engine there is a thread showing how to test the stator. Coil ohm checks and Hall Effect sensor checks.

Also check the Brown wire output on the CDI. Should measure around 8 volts DC when the engine is cranking.

Ok I will do that...it will run but then it cuts out and then if you wait 5 or 10 mins it will start back up. Then it will run again for a bit then you have to wait an hr or two before it will start again. I will double check cranking with a oh meter as well.

+1
    Ok I will do that...it will run but then it cuts out and then if you wait 5 or 10 mins it will start back up. Then it will run again for a bit then you have to wait an hr or two before it will start again. I will double check cranking with a oh meter as well.
    Do the tests cold and record the readings, then redo the tests as soon as you can after it fails when warmed up.

My guess is that the stator is failing when the engine gets warm, but it could be the CDI or someone else.

Does the MFI display work properly? If not, sometimes a bad display can cause weird engine ignition problems. You can disconnect and bypass the MFI display for diagnostic purposes if needed.

The only thing I noticed with the mfi is my speedo cuts in and out a lot. Low range it wasn't working all the time then when I was over half throttle or more it would pick back up and work again.

+1
    The only thing I noticed with the mfi is my speedo cuts in and out a lot. Low range it wasn't working all the time then when I was over half throttle or more it would pick back up and work again.
    Check the pitot fin under the hull and the clear hose inside the hull up to the display for kinks, cracks or fraying.

The pitot fin is inside the pump intake tunnel and has a small hole on the forward edge. The hole must be clear. Sometimes sand or other stuff clogs the hole or the small hose. Blow air or water through from the display end, it should stream out from the pitot fin.

Make sure the clear hose is properly clamped on the nipple under the drive shaft. The plastic nipple is so what fragile so don't break it.

So I checked the voltage again on the battery with a meter and it was 10.5 while cranking. I also checked brown wire and I was getting about 8.5 volts.

I put a new battery in it and am now getting 11.7 volts while cranking. I know the battery that was in it probably needed a charge too. Going to test the stator next...how about spark plug coils how do I test them?

Ski lost spark testing on the trailer I messed with engine ground and it started to spark again nothing was lose I pulled the ground off and cleaned it and put it back on . I'm going to water test it soon and see if it still acts up..

Thread Information