Thread: STX-15F In Chop

STX-15F In Chop

Hello all,

I'm looking to buy a NA ski in the next couple months. I was kind of sold on the FX HO but after seeing just how huge they are and hearing some of the the NanoXcell stories I'm second guessing that decision.

So, given the line-up of NA skis (GTI, GTX, VXR, FXHO, VX110, STX15F, UltraLX) I get that the Ultra, FXHO, and GTX have hulls that handle chop well but the Ultra and GTX are a bit pokey for my taste.

So, looking at the GTI, VXR, and STX how does the STX stand up to those hulls in chop? Nothing too serious, the occasional swells and wakes of the intracoastal will be my normal stomping grounds with the occasional stretch in a lake or offshore. I'd hate to sacrifice the fun of a smaller ski for my occasional use scenario however I would also hate to miss out on some cool trips because of a few waves. I love the STX's size, speed, mileage, and storage.

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    I have ridden an STX in some big sea's. Only ski I would rather be on is an Ultra.
    STX is very stable, and predictable on rough stuff. No surprises = more confidence and a better experience.
    By predictable I mean it goes where you point it and does what you ask with no surprises. Surprises are unexpected launching of the rider other fun things that may result in this or worse.

I have ridden the others. I have NOT ridden a 2014 FX.

If you go to Yamaha section they will tell you buy the VXR/S. If you go to Sea Doo section they will tell you buy the GTI.

They are all good ski's.

+1
    Unless you're going idle speed, 15f > GTI in chop (I have about 50 hours of riding time on either hull). More predictable, can handle chop more comfortably at speed, also. Only minus for the 15f: not the driest ride among the "couches" on the market. It's a nice ski to stand and ride in the rough at a good clip. I've only been on a vx once, so can't comment on it. Seemed smooth, but I was in calm water. STX just keeps getting better the faster you ride it.

Thanks guys. I'm really leaning toward the STX. I like the FXHO but it's huge and costs 50% more and I'd always be paranoid with the hull. The STX sounds like it does just about everything I need it to do. I can buy a whole lot of gas for 4k.

Any idea when the 2015s will be coming out? Would like to pick up a 2014 or maybe even a 2013 for cheap. Also, how is the extended warranty? It looks like you can get 48 months over the 1 year standard warranty. Any 'gotcha's with that?
    Last edited by LilMikey; 07-18-2014 at 04:56 PM.

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    The GTPP Factory warranty is outstanding and always worth the piece of mind. Do NOT buy a Western General or any other product.
    One pump gone bad and it pays for itself. You can do your own maintenance too. Just document it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by LilMikey View Post
    Thanks guys. I'm really leaning toward the STX. I like the FXHO but it's huge and costs 50% more and I'd always be paranoid with the hull. The STX sounds like it does just about everything I need it to do. I can buy a whole lot of gas for 4k.

Any idea when the 2015s will be coming out? Would like to pick up a 2014 or maybe even a 2013 for cheap. Also, how is the extended warranty? It looks like you can get 48 months over the 1 year standard warranty. Any 'gotcha's with that?

I wouldn't worry about the Yahama hull. This guy from Aruba has 120 hours on his FZR riding this way!

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=213283

The Nano is not an ultra hull, but nothing in the industry is. Here's a good article comparing all three:

http://www.personalwatercraft.com/ma...port-1249.html

+1
    Compared to the VXR and GTI, the 15F rides like a dream in the chop. The Ultra will handle the chop the best but you are sacrificing speed for comfort. I say get the '14 15F. It looks the coolest IMO.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    292 hours on a VXs with a bunch of those hours in some rough conditions....no hull or engine problems.....also put close to 300 hours on a 2006 15f with no problems but @ 6-7 mph slower than my VXs....fwiw....

Thanks guys. I appreciate the testimonies on the Yammi hull and I'm sure they're fine 99.9% of the time. It's my own neuroses that would make me anxious every time I beached or strapped the thing to the trailer. They are great machines, no doubt.

I'm not a racer, I'm just looking for a good general purpose ski. Decently quick, reasonable in most conditions, reliable, fuel-efficient, and a good price. As far as I can tell I can get just about everything I need in an STX-15F for a few grand less than any ski that's faster or better in the rough. The rough water handling of the HO vs the STX was my final concern but at a 3k+ price difference it sounds like the STX will be just fine.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by LilMikey View Post
    The rough water handling of the HO vs the STX was my final concern
    If i had to give a rating for rough water handling on these 2 skis, id give the FXHO a 10, and the STX a 9. The 2 are very close, but i prefer the nimble/playfulness of the STX, and also a slight edge for top speed to the STX. You wont go wrong with either of these skis... But the $3K difference is huge

Thread Information