XP Boggs after gas tank change.

Ok. Picked up a 95 XP. Did a few things to it. Been riding great for the last two weeks. I noticed the smell of gas when it was at the dock on the lift and realized that it had a cracked gas tank ( i know about the recall ) Put in a new tank today. did not disconnect any wires or hoses. just pulled out the pick up tube and put it back into the new tank. Ski fires right up and runs good on the lift at the dock. When i take it out it pops right out of the water instantly like it should and then after about 20 yards bogs out like it isn't getting any gas. I shut off the gas as it is running and it leans out and i can take off again, with the same result. Takes right off great, planes out then bogs down. Any ideas as to why changing out the gas tank would cause this. seems like it isnt getting any gas, but the lean out when i cut the fuel would suggest the opposite. The previous owner was probably running this for years with the cracked tank, but he rebuilt the carbs prior to me getting it and said they are set per the manual. All the fuel lines have been replaced and i checked the screen on the pick up before i put it back into the new tank. Pulled the filter and it is clean and like new. No lines are kinked and the vent is working. I'm at a loss. This was running perfect with the cracked tank and all i did was replace that tank. Thanks for the help.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Betting your tank vents are blocked. Crack the gas cap and take it for a spin and see if it fixes the issue. If not report back.

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    Betting your tank vents are blocked. Crack the gas cap and take it for a spin and see if it fixes the issue. If not report back.
    Tried that and also checked the vents. No change. Also checked all the lines for kinks and cleaned the tank before install. The ski will run full out. Drop down to idle for 5-10 seconds then pop up again. Then repeat.

+1
    possibly the rectifier? unplug the red wire and take it for a short spin. after that I would think that you have a corroded ground maybe, trim the plug wires back. maybe pull the carbs and check the screens for safe measure?

possibly the rectifier? unplug the red wire and take it for a short spin. after that I would think that you have a corroded ground maybe, trim the plug wires back. maybe pull the carbs and check the screens for safe measure?

Its definitely a fuel issue. I was able to keep it running well with the choke about 1/3 out. Put three zip ties on the choke shaft as spacers and it runs great. I took it out like this and ran it for about 30 min. ran fine. Seemed maybe just a few mph slower than normal, too rich maybe. Thinking that the prior owner perhaps changed the pop of springs to compensate for the cracked tank some how. Any thoughts on what needs to be adjusted to compensate?

Banned User
    +1
    Something is clogged. If running it with the choke 1/3 out, you are restricting airflow to the point of getting it back to normal....But running it like that could do damage...

Pull the carbs, check the filters...I'm thinking you jostled some debris loose and it made its way through the fuel lines...

I'd also pull off each line (one at a time) and blow them out with compressed air...

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Something is clogged. If running it with the choke 1/3 out, you are restricting airflow to the point of getting it back to normal....But running it like that could do damage...

Pull the carbs, check the filters...I'm thinking you jostled some debris loose and it made its way through the fuel lines...

I'd also pull off each line (one at a time) and blow them out with compressed air...
    ok. i can pull the lines, but how would debris get past the filter bowl under the steering column. that is completely clean. That only leaves the one line from the filter bowl to the carbs, and that line wasn't moved at all.

+1
    Well I guess the leading question is when was the fuel system last cleaned with lines replaced, carbs rebuilt and fuel selector cleaned out?

Well I guess the leading question is when was the fuel system last cleaned with lines replaced, carbs rebuilt and fuel selector cleaned out?
    two seasons ago. ran for one season. I'm in NY , seasons are short, I doubt this had more than 20 hrs on it since rebuild and new lines.

+1
    I have had new fuel lines when pushed on over the fuel spigots dry ,the fuel lines leave remnants of fragmented rubber inside the lines.
    You have about 6 spigots depending which craft you have, I have had the fuel screens completely blocked with new rubber fragments from the new lines.This is why I dont run fuel screens at all.Maybe this is what happened ? I spray Inox now over the spigots to stop this.

Thread Information