Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1997 Seadoo GTI 717 Won't Crank - Headaches Please Help!

Hello everyone. I have a couple of questions and maybe I'm not mechanically inclined enough to figure them out but here's a little background information:

Bought a non running 1997 Seadoo GTI 717 that "electronics box was bad"
    Bought a new MPEM and it fired up but wouldn't crank with plugs in.
    Replaced grey tempo fuel lines (which were nasty!)
    Replaced the battery and plugs and noticed greyish sludge on the spark plugs.
    I finally got it started and it ran on the water hose for like 1 minute and a half (lots of white smoke) It died when I tried to give it gas.
    I flushed it without the spark plugs in it to get any remaining water out.
    Still grey sludge. So I took off the top end and saw this sludge at the bottom of both PTO and MAG pistons.
    Lubed the top end with BRP 2 Stroke oil and put it back together.
    Cleaned everything up and it fires once and stops. I didn't clean inside of the carbs because I couldn't get bottom (oil injection cable?) all the way off so I just cleaned it with throttle body cleaner.
    It seems as if it is not getting fuel.

I'm really struggling because it ran for 2 minutes with old gas, with fuel treatment (new oil and oil filter). Is there anything else I can check? It seems as if now when I turn it over without the spark plugs in I am not getting much gasoline vapor if any at all. ANY help would be appreciated. I have searched multiple topics and feel like I've tried everything. Did I purchase a boat anchor?

+1
    Go through the carbs for your own sanity man.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Sounds like crank seals are shot, need a full carb/ fuel system cleaning, line replacement, and fuel tank cleaning, new battery and a starter.. Just for starters

Ok, I tore down the carbs and installed a rebuild kit. The fuel filter was torn and they didn't have one in stock so I replaced it with an inline fuel filter from oreillys.

-it is getting spark
    -it acts like it wants to fire up but immediately turns off.
    -the fuel line into the carb is not getting fuel.
    -when I blow on the return to the tank a littl starts to come out of the carb where the out line is.
    -I have pulled and changed the plugs multiple times
    -occasionally I get a grayish gook on one of the plugs.

im at a loss and just don't know what to do anymore. I just feel like there should be fuel coming out of that line!

+1
    Ok, check compression and also make sure while turning over that you are getting air suction through the carb throat. Air blowing out could indicate a rotary valve issue

125 psi mag piston, 130 psi pto piston. This morning it ran for about 10 seconds and quit. I just want this thing to run!

U need to get something repetitious happening in order to diagnose the issue(s).
    With the carb open, dump a capful of gas in there and hit start - it should fire and run at least until it burns that capful of fuel up. Do that a few times and see if it happens consistently - if it does, your fuel delivery is messed up. If you can't get it to start every time, you probably have other issues most likely related to compression loss or timing.

Let us know what happens...

Grey sludge (oil water mix) coming out of pulse line. It clogged the diaphragm back up on the carb. Like it is pouring out when I crank it without it...problems, I think so. Going to do something stupid probably and suck it out with a wet dry vac.

Unfortunately I think your in for a total rebuild on that engine. That sludge can be oil water and metal. Even if you vac out some stuff your crank bearings are probably wasted or on their way. Good news is it's pretty easy to yank and work on that engine.

UPDATE!!!

Ok so I got most of the crud out of the crank case by vacuuming and wiping with shop towels. It started to run for like 5 seconds and would quit. I pull the fuel inlet line off the carb and no gas is there. I fiddle with it for like 30 minutes and still doing same thing. So my buddy was like just pull the pulse line off and see if it is spitting oil out. I pulled the pulse line off and BAM it fired up and was running like a top...I turned the water hose on and got some water going to it. I let it run for about a minute or two and tried to give it gas and it acted like it was going to rev but bogged down and eventually quit. I fired it up again and it did the same thing. The pulse line was pumping pops of air no fuel or anything coming out from the engine. Someone help me figure this puzzle out? It's like the vacuum is reversed or something. Anyone have any ideas on what this could be? I'm positive the carbs will need to be pulled again because I never set the pop off (I left the old spring in because I don't have a pop off pressure kit). I'm just glad to hear it running.

I want to get it running where I can give it gas so I can see if the damn thing even floats! Thanks for everyones input so far.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information