Smile 1996 Polaris SLT700 - Upgraded CDI - Service bulletin 00-05 won't start now.

Upgraded Ign, Stator, CDI, and Coil - CDI Part# 4010803 - ref#572 208

I wired up everything stock, color to color, at first I did not do the Service Bulletin 00-05 for the warm no restart, jet ski ran great!! Then as soon as it warmed up, and I shut it off and then tried to restart it, bam, no start. So I brought it back to my shop and did the Service bulletin 00-05 for the warm no restart, and now it won't even start up at all.

This is what I did per service bulletin 00-05 - Disconnected the Red/Purple from the CDI. Left the end alone that runs to the Stator. Then I hooked up a jumper wire from the Red/Purple coming out of the CDI to the Orange terminal. Correct?

Any ideas?

Banned User
    +1
    Thats correct.

Banned User
    +1
    Does your 700 have anything else connected to the orange terminal? The next thing to check would be if you actually have power on the orange terminal while the engine is cranking

There is nothing else connected to the orange terminal. Also, if I reverse the Service Bulletin 00-05 and put the red/purple wire from the CDI back to the stator, it starts right up!

Attached image of my setup.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polaris-slt700.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	161.1 KB 
ID:	336386

After doing some searching on this webiste, I may have a bad LR module? But I'm not sure which one is bad, there are (2) of them. One with a Yellow, Red/White, Red and Orange wire and one with a Red and Yellow wire.

Again... after reading other replies on this awesome website, it appears that I might need the (4060110) LR-52 module that has the the (4) wires coming out of it (the one with the orange wire). Can I purchase this item new somewhere? I noticed on eBay they have new ones but for Polaris 4 wheelers?
    Last edited by SysAdm; 07-19-2014 at 01:45 PM.

Banned User
    +1
    Is the orange wire from the LR connected to the orange terminal on the board? It sounds like your cdi is not getting power from the orange circuit

Yup... the LR module orange wire is connected to the orange terminal on the board. I also noticed the analog gas gauge is not working, brand new gauge. Seems the red/white wire from the LR module controls the analog gas gauge too. I bet I have a bad LR module... I just ordered one from eBay... waiting to see if this fixes the non starting issue.

Like I said before... If I remove the 00-05 bulletin fix it starts right up!

Banned User
    +1
    I think you have found the problem

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SysAdm View Post
    Yup... the LR module orange wire is connected to the orange terminal on the board. I also noticed the analog gas gauge is not working, brand new gauge. Seems the red/white wire from the LR module controls the analog gas gauge too. I bet I have a bad LR module... I just ordered one from eBay... waiting to see if this fixes the non starting issue.

Like I said before... If I remove the 00-05 bulletin fix it starts right up!
    The problem with these CDI, is they stay asleep. It will start once -when shut off will not start again. Disconnecting the power to CDI resets it.

The red/pur wire is battery power. Disconnecting/reconnecting it resets the CDI.
    The orange wire is switched power-turns on when cranking/running. Shuts off when engine is off. Basically, automatically resetting the CDI.

Yes, the LR52 sends power for the orange wires, it turns on when it sees a signal on the yellow wire-if your charging system is working-it should have the signal for the LR.

Yes, the LR52 also supplies 3 volts for the analog fuel guage on the red/wht wire. If you ordered the correct Polaris part # ,it should work. (make sure it has 2-3 volts red/wht so not to damage the guage)

Thread Information