Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Got a 96 xp vibration and response problem

I finally got back in town to take my new to me seadoos out and my 94 spi ran great but my 96 xp had a noise and vibration out the rear on my first ride but ran gray all the way to wot. Took it out a second time wouldn't go anywhere turned around went back to shore and just before I shut it down it came back to life. Let it sit for a bit checked for water in hull very little. Tried it a third time worked great just the noise out the rear noticed a slight pop out the exhaust maybe a miss fire couldn't be sure. Took it out a 4th time and no response vibration seemed to got worse from the first time I felt it and no real throttle response. Before I took it out this is the maintance I did.
    New spark plugs, out spark plug wires back, added in line fuel filter, checked carbs, looked good, performed jet pump service, cleaned rave valves, lubed shaft, and replaced factory fuel filter oh and a new battery

im at a lose of what the problem is compression is in high 140s

Please help

+1
    have you checked the rectiifier?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Vibration means that either the drive shaft is bent or there is something wrapped around the shaft or the pump bearings are shot

Have not checked rectifier, what type of test should I do?
    checked for debri on shaft around impeller nothing, ski does have a new impros impeller
    due to debri chewing the other impeller up

but the intermittent bogging down no power still runs in water at least enough to keep me going back to shore what could cause that? Could it be the jet pump because that doesn't sound it would. The noise on water I think could be. Vibration is intermittent as well to a point

one kinda good thing is that it runs or seems to run perfect on the trailer just not in water

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    running on the trailer and not running or running poorly in the water is a usual sign of running lean. when was the fuel system last cleaned? also to test the rectifier, you have to unplug the red wire coming from it in the gray box up front and take it for a short spin. you are running on battery only so make it short or your swimming it back in. if it runs fine its the rectifier, if not its something else.

The part that is mostly stumping me is that it wasn't every time I went out with it that day

Rectifier

+1
    Grab a rectifier as stated above. Cheap and was culprit on my bogging issue.

Did a small test at the battery to see if everything is working proper. At idle I have just over 13v and with reving it it holds at 13.3 v so everything is working properly. I'm stumped on what it could be at this point

+1
    My rectifier was bad, even though it was charging it was still bad. It tested OK in that dept. but was distributing "electrical noise" in front sealed elec. box and faulting out mpem and ign system. Solved all my running poorly bogging issues.

Give it a shot, they are cheap, and good to have an extra in toolbox while at lake just in case.

Rob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information