Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

MSX 140 Driveshaft Splines

I am trying to rebuild my thru hull bearing as it is leaking water. But when I went to remove my driveshaft I couldn't get the driveshaft removal tool onto the splined part of the shaft. The removal tool may have been a watcon one (it doesn't have the polaris part # on it) and has been used successfully on 2003 msx's (I borrowed the tool from a friend who works on them regularly) and has 18 spline teeth. However, when I took a closer look at my driveshaft, I counted 20 spline grooves... and to confirm I counted the spline teeth on the impeller, also 20.

Has there been any driveshaft changes from the 03 to 04 MSX's? and does anyone know where I can get a removal tool that has 20 spline teeth on it? I have already contacted John from Watcon and inquired to see if his msx removal tool has that number of splines.

Thanks!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    You sure you have the correct tool?

The MSX drive shaft tool I have (with the official part number stamped on the side) slides right onto the impeller removal tool splines that fits all Polaris 148mm impellers. In fact I keep those tools mated together sitting in my tool box.

As far as I know Polaris never changed the spline count across all the model years of the modular 148mm jet pump.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

The MSX drive shaft tool I have (with the official part number stamped on the side) slides right onto the impeller removal tool splines that fits all Polaris 148mm impellers. In fact I keep those tools mated together sitting in my tool box.

As far as I know Polaris never changed the spline count across all the model years of the modular 148mm jet pump.
    How many spline teeth does your Polaris removal tool have on it? I want to confirm I have a stock driveshaft or not.... If the spline count doesn't match up, maybe I need to buy a new shaft because I have no idea how I would find the correct tool for it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Makon View Post

How many spline teeth does your Polaris removal tool have on it? I want to confirm I have a stock driveshaft or not.... If the spline count doesn't match up, maybe I need to buy a new shaft because I have no idea how I would find the correct tool for it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	336430
    Of course when I actually go get my MSX driveshaft removal tool there is no part number stamped on it.
    Inserted is the stubby impeller removal tool I keep in my toolbox, which fits Polaris impellers.
    (non-relevant info) I also have a longer 'homemade' impeller removal tool, which happens to be out on loan currently.

Views:	109 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	336431
    M447 and my own count is twenty splines.

Views:	87 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	336432
    Last edited by K447; 07-20-2014 at 12:51 AM.

+1
    ... I borrowed the tool from a friend who works on them regularly) and has 18 spline teeth. However, when I took a closer look at my driveshaft, I counted 20 spline grooves... and to confirm I counted the spline teeth on the impeller, also 20.
    Does you friend also work on other PWC brands?

Perhaps the tool he gave you is for another brand of watercraft that uses 18 splines.

+1
    ... I borrowed the tool from a friend who works on them regularly) and has 18 spline teeth. However, when I took a closer look at my driveshaft, I counted 20 spline grooves... and to confirm I counted the spline teeth on the impeller, also 20.
    Does you friend also work on other PWC brands?

Perhaps the tool he gave you is for another brand of watercraft that uses 18 splines.
    He does work on other PWCs, but mainly polaris' to my knowledge... He did say that he never used it on a 2004 MSX. Where did you guy your tool from? It seems like that is what I would need.

+1
    I just noticed that you said your removal tool is out on loan currently.. I am waiting to hear from Watcon If their driveshaft removal tool has the 20 splines on it. I know it might be a while, but would I be able to borrow your tool when it becomes available? If not it is no big deal, ill figure something out.

Banned User
    +1
    I just put my impeller tool into my Watcon drive shaft tool and its a perfect mate. Id be willing to bet your friend accidentally gave you the wrong tool to use.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    I just put my impeller tool into my Watcon drive shaft tool and its a perfect mate. Id be willing to bet your friend accidentally gave you the wrong tool to use.
    That is my thinking too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information