+1

2001 gp1300r blown engine

Hey guys a friend of a friend has a 01 yamaha gp1300r with a blown motor for sale. He says a spark plug broke and the #1 cylinder is fried. It's selling for a good price he says the hull is fine. It needs a new piston sleeve and crank assembly.

1st question.. The head is milled and has wiseco pistons and not sure what else.. Would I be able to use this engine as a core for sbt? Thinking that could be an easy swap.

2nd question.. If I were to get the parts mentioned and fix it should I just do a top end rebuild instead? Not sure if the cylinders have been bored out to fit the wiseco pistons need to find out more I would assume before thinking a rebuild.. Claims to be 900$ of parts to fix.

3rd question.. If I went route 1 and did a sbt swap since it's an 01 would I have to get another pv engine or could I buy the newer non pv engine and use my 01 as it's core? I'm assuming the answer would be exchange for same engine and buy wave eaters for the pv.. Either sbt engine is 1500 with 1 yr warranty

+1
    First off if it is a 01 /1300r it was at one time a GP1200r ski. if that is the case it is a modded ski and may have some good parts in it. if you are planning on buying it a tear down would be the first priority. see exactly what find of damage there is and what caused it. you may be able to repair it and have a fast ski for a lot less than a sbt engine. posting pics of the engine before and after tear down would give a lot of info for us to help you along the way to your rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedfreak95 View Post
    Hey guys a friend of a friend has a 01 yamaha gp1300r with a blown motor for sale. He says a spark plug broke and the #1 cylinder is fried. It's selling for a good price he says the hull is fine. It needs a new piston sleeve and crank assembly.

1st question.. The head is milled and has wiseco pistons and not sure what else.. Would I be able to use this engine as a core for sbt? Thinking that could be an easy swap.

2nd question.. If I were to get the parts mentioned and fix it should I just do a top end rebuild instead? Not sure if the cylinders have been bored out to fit the wiseco pistons need to find out more I would assume before thinking a rebuild.. Claims to be 900$ of parts to fix.

3rd question.. If I went route 1 and did a sbt swap since it's an 01 would I have to get another pv engine or could I buy the newer non pv engine and use my 01 as it's core? I'm assuming the answer would be exchange for same engine and buy wave eaters for the pv.. Either sbt engine is 1500 with 1 yr warranty
    1. A milled head is ok for a core at SBT.
    2. You can do a top end rebuild just make sure you get any and all debris out of the crank. This can be a little risky.
    3. We only sell apples for apples and our PV engines come with the lever links installed.
    Thanks,
    Jeremy

Thread Information