+1

Red face First Jetski EVER!

Hello Fellow Green Hulk Members!

My name is JP (Julio Paula) <spic wetback cuban! Im a Floridian in the Ft.Myers Naples Area. 26 yrs old and ive grown up around skis, family friends ect had them except for myself.... long story short im bored at home and I decided its time to have fun! So i purchased my 1997 Ford Explo(d)er XLT fully loaded for $200. Then i went searching for Skis, leaned towards the ultra 150 but so many horror stories of the engine taking a crap due to people removing the oil system, couldnt find a stock one....SOOO i ended up here 2002 Yamaha GP1200r new paint new hydro mats....$2400 later and it runs LIKE SHIT! guy says it sat for about 3 years. started right up no problems so i said screw it! if its broken ill FIX IT!

First ride:
    Ski turns right on. get it in the water. FULL THROTTLE!!!!! bog.... use the choke a little thinking eh its getting to much air.... starts hauling ass!!! let go of choke... bog... time to go home.

New plugs fresh gas (premix) noticed no filters on carbs they are wide open....

Second Ride: starts right up. in the water. not bogging to much on the new plugs at first
    (still chocking engine) runs like a raped ape for about 15min.... then im guess plugs are starting to foul and runs like crap again.

bring it home check out the carbs and one is leaking out the side.... huh looks like a rebuild is due.

Also Checked compression they are all between 115-118 at WOT

started researching on here and noticed some very good information,mainly from (OSIDEBILL) May he rest in peace as ive found out hes no longer with us. seemed like a very knowledgable person and honest guy!, so went online and about $700 later i have purchased....

RIVA GPR flame Arrestor KIT
    3x MIkuni Rebuild kits
    new OEM Reed set
    Pop Off Tool

and as per MR. BILL ill be re-jetting the carbs to his specifications
    1200R Aftermarket F/A's (Flame Arrestors) chokes intact
      • 110 Pilot jets, 1 turn out on low speed adjusters
      • 120 main jets, 1-1/2 turn out on high speed adjusters
      • 1.5 Needle and Seat, 95 gram spring (Dull Silver) 42-45 avg. pop-off pressure.
    This site looks very promising and doesnt look like there are too many punks in here!
    hopefully i can meet some of the people on here down in the florida area and go for a big meet somewhere to tear up the SEA!

Last edited by JP_RACING_INC; 07-19-2014 at 03:22 PM. Reason: compression test results

sounds like you'll be fine if your that comfortable redoing carbs you be cruising in no time!...that ski is a lot of fun...good luck!

+1
    i think ill be fine! i called around and they want to charge about $700 in just labor, ill figure it out myself. if i can build motors i can rebuild a carb. all issues and opinions have been pointing to carbs so i hope this will get her running smoothly.

Almost definately carbs...the pain is not doing to carbs but getting to and removing them!

+1

ah no big deal took 30 min and they were out.

ROLL TIDE ROLL
    +1
    cool pic of your ski and explorer, did you take that

+1
    welcome to the forums! my gpr had the same symptoms when I picked it up- which led me here and to osidebill's info/mods

you're on the right path with the osidebill carb settings/rejetting/acc pump removal- that combo and F/As/Dplate really wakes it up, throttle response is amazing...i'd start cleaning/inspecting the carbs NOW (if you haven't already) to cut down on labor and get extra parts ordered...chances are they are filled with corrosion- mine were borderline unserviceable, but at the time I had more time than money and the corrosion hasn't returned since switching to premix.

i'd pickup a set of intake/base gaskets for the carb re install...I never had any luck with reusing them. good luck man, the carb rebuild is nothing, putting together a pop off tester was the hardest part hah

so much info here and lots of good dudes that will help you along the way...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bamafutbal View Post
    cool pic of your ski and explorer, did you take that
    Thanks bam! And yes I did. Cell phone pic

+1
    I also picked up entire new gasket sets for the carbs *theprophet. I also ordered a mikuni pop off tester. Didn't want to risk building a crappy one. Thanks for the input glad to know I'm going I'm the right path with the ski.

The carb is clearly the best place to start. If you're at sea level, it's probably best to not mess with the jetting. If it won't run to factory spec, you have a different problem. Sounds as if your problem is heat related, meaning the problem only occurs when the engine is hot. Check for leakage around the cylinder gaskets. You may have a bad seal which is only apparent after the engine warms up.

Thread Information