Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

off idle stumble 2002 virage txi

I have 1200 di virage that stutters off idle for a few seconds and then clears out.when taking off up to about 4,000 rpms.the stop button doesn't kill the motor either.could that have anything to do with it.i have to pull the lanyard thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    The LR-503 Start/Stop module may have failed, hence the Stop button not stopping the engine. First verify the module wires are properly connected. If still not working, replace the module.

The stutter off idle is often a symptom of a bad TPS.

Make sure the correct spark plugs are installed. Incorrect spark plugs can cause issues.

would that tps throw a code?? is there a way to know which module is the stop start. thanks for ur help also would u know the max rpm for that ski.its about 6900 according to the dash gauge.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xltier View Post
    would that tps throw a code?? is there a way to know which module is the stop start. thanks for ur help

... max rpm for that ski? its about 6900 according to the dash gauge.
    6900 RPM at wide open top speed is really good for that engine. Engine is strong and apparently healthy.

A bad TPS often does not trigger a trouble code. The engine just does not run quite right, in some manner.

I have changed the wire harness configuration on my own Virage TXi but from memory the original location for the LR-503 module is in the mess of wires on top of the fuel tank. It is flat and black plastic a couple of inches square. It has an 8-pin connector to plug into the wire harness.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    would that tps throw a code?? is there a way to know which module is the stop start. thanks for ur help

6900 RPM at wide open top speed is really good for that engine. Engine is strong and apparently healthy.

A bad TPS often does not trigger a trouble code. The engine just does not run quite right, in some manner.

I have changed the wire harness configuration on my own Virage TXi but from memory the original location for the LR-503 module is in the mess of wires on top of the fuel tank. It is flat and black plastic a couple of inches square. It has an 8-pin connector to plug into the wire harness.
    thanks for the help.i just rebuilt that motor.i just hope I can keep the fuel going to it so it don't burn down again.i wonder if that tps can be ohmed like a automotive type.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

thanks for the help.i just rebuilt that motor.i just hope I can keep the fuel going to it so it don't burn down again. i wonder if that tps can be ohmed like a automotive type.
    Ohm testing is not useful on these Ficht TPS.

The only useful test is to try a new or known good TPS.

its just a sputter at 1st .like a 1/16 throttle opening then it hauls ass all the way up to 60 mph.

+1
    its just a sputter at 1st .like a 1/16 throttle opening then it hauls ass all the way up to 60 mph.
    Changing the TPS would be my first move.

Does the stumble happen just above 2500RPM?
    That could indicate an EMM problem with injector voltage sagging when the power section changes modes, which happens right around and above 2500RPM.

+1
    Sorry to go off topic here but rebuilding the top end of your ski will up the rpm's of the ski? Just wondering cause I have to rebuild my 800 this winter

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ben01251979 View Post
    ... rebuilding the top end of your ski will up the rpm's of the ski?

Just wondering cause I have to rebuild my 800 this winter
    If the piston sealing at the piston rings to cylinder walls has worn enough to allow running compression to decline (in other words the piston ring blowby has increased) then rebuilding the top end with fresh parts will improve piston to cylinder sealing (after proper engine break-in) and therefore increase the available downward force on every power stroke.

More power means the engine can twist harder (more torque) against the impeller water load. So the impeller spins faster, the engine revs higher, and the jet pump thrust is greater.

There is an optimal maximum engine RPM for each engine version. Above that optimal RPM the engine efficiency declines. The impeller is selected to match the engine power and provide just the right load (turning resistance) to the engine to allow the engine to just nicely reach the optimal maximum power band RPM.

If the engine becomes internally worn not only does measured compression decline but also the available power does not allow the impeller or the engine to reach optimal RPM. Below optimal RPM the engine power is also reduced just because it is spinning slower.
    Last edited by K447; 07-20-2014 at 01:08 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information