Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Help with Polaris MSX 140 HO

First let me say this is an outstanding forum.

I have a Polaris MSX 140 HO that cuts out after running for about 10 minutes.

Prior to it cutting out it will get up to 6800 RPM for a couple minutes no problem. Then it will start to cut out and then shut down. It will start right backup up and even run up to 6800 RPM again. However will cut out and then shut down. This gets progressively worse until even running at idle it will run for a minute or so and the shut down.

I have already done the following items based on suggestions found in other threads on this site:

New battery
    Replaced ignition coils
    Replaced Spark Plugs (NGK PZFR6H)
    Verified spark
    Verified 45v on White/Red wire
    Tested capacitor bleed down (not sure how fast it should take but was not instant, took a few seconds)
    Checked compression on all three cylinders (~120)
    Replaced fuel pump motor (it was dead, problem number one before I found the current issue)
    Replaced fuel filters
    Did pressure regulator fix as it fell off while replacing the filters.
    Tested fuel pressure (~21psi)
    Tested air temperature sensor (service update was already completed)
    Tested water temperature sensor (service update was already completed)
    Tested CPS
    Replaced Throttle Position Sensor
    Ran with seat off to see if issue was caused by exhaust leak

At this point I suspect I may have a bad EMM but wanted to make sure there isn't anything else I can check first as I was hoping to have this ski up and running for a vacation the first week of August.

I sent DFI an email asking about the cost for diagnostics etc.. but also saw a post that suggested their customer service has not been great recently and that there is a 6 month wait. It also alluded to another potential source for having this diagnostics done but could not find the details.

If anyone is in the Orlando, Fl area and willing to swap EMMs to test please send me a message.
    Last edited by Larry Clark; 07-20-2014 at 05:05 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Replaced the fuel filters? The fuel filter on the Ficht fuel pump is a permanent part of the in-tank fuel pump, normally never changed.

Have you confirmed the EMM water cooling circuit is actually flowing water?

+1
    Yes, I first replaced the pump motor with an Airtex E7029M as suggested in a thread on this site. Then was experiencing the issue outlined above and thought maybe the filters where not allowing enough fuel to flow so I swapped them with the ones that came with the Airtex fuel pump.

Water comes out of the water outflow port when connected to a backwash hose so I believe that water is flowing through the EMM correctly.

+1
    I just took a closer look at the cooling system diagram in the service manual, I have a question regarding which hose coming out of the front of the motor area is suppose to plug into the inlet of the EMM. The diagram (service manual page 82) I am looking at it looks like the hose from the bottom should plug into it however on my ski the hose from top is plugged into it.

Prior to sitting for a couple years this ski ran perfect and the hoses where connected the same as they are now. So I am confused as to whether there has always been an issue with the hoses and I have just been lucky to not have performance problems or am I reading this diagram wrong.

Banned User
    +1
    I would verify that the cooling water can flow through the stator water jacket and then to the EMM. Do you get any warning on the dash when it shuts down? Usually the EMM will go into limp mode when there is an overheat of the motor or the EMM.

+1
    Is the fact that water comes out the outlet for the EMM by the jet pump while back washing a good verification of sufficient water flowing through the stator water jacket and EMM?

I do not get any warning light and as far as i can tell it is not going into limp mode as I can get up to speed at least the first few times that it shuts down after that I generally idle back to the ramp. Although it does shut down several times while idling during the return trip to the ramp.

+1
    I found another post http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=1#post2276060 that would suggest that my hoses are connected correctly.

8. +1 by:

+1
    I just traced the hose coming out of the EMM again and it does not exit where I thought it was. It actually exits through the exhaust pipe not through the outlet by the jet pump.

I will double check the flow through the Stator and EMM.

Is it safe to disconnect the hose going into the Stator and using low pressure connect it to a garden hose directly?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Clark View Post
    I just took a closer look at the cooling system diagram in the service manual, I have a question regarding which hose coming out of the front of the motor area is suppose to plug into the inlet of the EMM. The diagram (service manual page 82) I am looking at it looks like the hose from the bottom should plug into it however on my ski the hose from top is plugged into it.

Prior to sitting for a couple years this ski ran perfect and the hoses where connected the same as they are now. So I am confused as to whether there has always been an issue with the hoses and I have just been lucky to not have performance problems or am I reading this diagram wrong.
    The official diagrams for Ficht stator cover cooling flow are incorrect. The cooling water feed first goes to the lower elbow fitting on the flywheel cover. The upper fitting then feeds to the EMM.

From the EMM the water then flows all the way to the rear where it exits at the hull exhaust fitting.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Clark View Post
    I just traced the hose coming out of the EMM again and it does not exit where I thought it was. It actually exits through the exhaust pipe not through the outlet by the jet pump.

I will double check the flow through the Stator and EMM.

Is it safe to disconnect the hose going into the Stator and using low pressure connect it to a garden hose directly?
    As long as you don't apply crazy water pressures, you can certainly check for flow and blockages using a garden hose with some adapters.

The normal cooling system feed from the jet pump develops some PSI when the engine is revving hard and you are moving fast on the water.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information