Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Knock sensor!! anyone tried this?

Hi all. I'm not sure if this forum is dead in the water as I did not get a response to my previous post. But anyhow I managed to get my ski on the water and pull the code from it as it happened. Code 25. The knock sensor. the aquatrax knock sensor costs about 100 dollars right? Code is 30530. I've looked through various honda parts and found some honda cars with an identical knock sensor. One being a honda prelude. The sensor new has the same part number as the aquatrax r/f12x but can be bought for a quarter of the price. Would there be a problem fitting the sensor from a car? Obviously honda took the aquatrax knock sensor from somewhere it wasn't just designed for the ski?? Also when replacing this sensor is there any other sensors that would be recommended to change at the same time? There has to be a honda wizz somewhere that could shed light on this?

+1
    Give the car knock sensor a try cause i would hate to see you waste your money on the aquatrax part and you found out that you just thru that 100 away since you will STILL have the code 25 issue
    if you havnt already read this in other threads 99.9% of the time its the ecu that has the issue not the knock sensor

3. +1 by:

+1
    we are just thinking are ECM wouldn't fail over here because are air temps and water temp doesn't get high at all. Isn't right ECM fails because of high temps jlfx. Thanks ?

+1
    Thats the conclusion that its heat that takes the ecu but have you not felt in the hull during a ride ? The.stock water box makes for a sauna in the hull if any water gets in there...

+1
    I'd bet anything its the ECM. $1K if you have an 02-03 $750 if newer. It sucks and there is no work around, trust me i've tried em all. And I wasted $100 on a new knock sensor too. If you want to be sure, put a volt meter in line. You should read between 5mv and 28mv durign normal riding. 28 mv isn't enough to be a knock condition but if you are in that range, and still get the fault its the ECM. Also, you will likely get the code generally after its cold, after the same amount of time. If it really was a bad sensor or knock, it would happen as soon as you rode.

Thanks for the responses. The ski ran fine until I flipped it over. After that it ran for about 15 mins then I got the error. Now everytime I go on ski it runs for about 30 seconds then error appears again. Switch ski off and on again same thing. I could repeat this process all day. My hull is bone dry and ECM pins are like new. Only found corrosion on an oil sensor. I've seen ECMs in cars working under the good submerged in water. I'm in uk and its pretty cool. I've found the ski only gets warm after its out of the water and on trailer. Heat soak. Only good thing is I've access to another ECM from a family member. If I fit the car knock sensor could anyone see it doing damage or will ski just throw an error again if it is somehow different? Thanks

+1
    yeah I have felt the heat before in the engine bay . It can get like a sauna at times. my ski is acting exactly like Paul's ski. Mine started first and then his started last week. Think we should replace ECT sensor too ?...thanks

+1
    No just replace ecu first (borrow one if you can) and if it continues with 2nd ecu ... then i would check into it .

so paul you flipped ski? I grant you some water got in hull but its not the water that makes ecu go bad its the steam (i feel)

+1 New ECM - don't waste another $100 on the sensor, it is extremely rare for the sensor to go bad, but extremely common for the ECM to go bad without warning or any specific conditions.

When my ECM went out, my ski would run about 20 min from cold, then warning/limp/25 code. After restart it would run only about 30 seconds before giving the warning again.

What is the year and hours on your ski? I have heard the ECM tends to fail at 8 years old, or around 100-120 hours, but I have also heard of at least 1 that was a brand new 2007 in 2010 with very few hours that failed (under warranty).

+1
    If the car knock sensor puts out the same voltage, it won't hurt. The plug is fairly funky so hopefully the one you identified has the same plug. I'm sure there is a honda sensor out there in auto land that is the same. I doubt Honda made a knock sensor specific to the aquatrax. Its just a big job to tear everything down to reach the damn thing. Then you have to put it all back together to run the ski, only for it to do throw the same code.
    My guess on the cause is a bad cap on the board. the entire ECM is encased in waterproof thermo epoxy. As such, moisture I'm sure can't get to it. Heat can, either external, or internal(current creating heat internally).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information