Looking at getting into stand ups, 650sx?

What's going on everyone I've been looking at getting into a stand up. A little background is I've been riding ever since I was legally allowed to. Now I'm 19 and have a 2005 yamaha gp1300r but I live on a lake during the summer and I want a stand up to screw around on. Im a pretty big kid, 6'2" 230lbs college football player so I'm not fat and unathletic. I've ridden a Kawasaki 650 before when I was around 12 and loved it but I want one now. My question is do you think a 650sx is good for me, I've been looking into craigslist and found my favorite one which is a 1987 where the guy rebuilt the engine. What would you guys pay for it ? Also is this a good time to buy? I feel since it's the end of the season I can get one cheaper then the start of summer. Here's what the losing says " I have a 1987 kawasaki 650sx with a clean and clear tittle it is very clean and has been very well taken care of I just rebuilt the motor from the crank shaft up not just a top end kit with less than a tank of fuel run through the motor. The ski is completely stock except for the oil pump delete plate .50mm over size pistons and a stainless steel impeller battery is an AGM gel cell battery this ski is ready to put in the water and ride I am selling it because I need money for another project. I hate to get rid of it because it is such a clean ski but I have to make room. If you have any questions feel free to contact me my number is in the reply button the ski does not come with a trailer it is easy to lift in and out of a pick up truck bed "

Thanks for any help !!

Anyone ? The ski is visually solid only thing I would need would be new hudroturf the sides and foot area are prety warn down and need replacement

+1
    If the crank and everything is new I would expect you'd have to pay around $1000 for it. I love riding my 650sx and I'm 6'7" and 245#. They are kind of turds out of the hole when stock. I have a Mako 16 pitch stainless impeller, blueprinted pump, deep intake grate, Ocean Pro ride plate, ported and matched exhaust manifold and headpipe, dried out stock pipe with 3" added to tailcone. Very different machine now with these mods. Next up will be some porting, milled head, and a 38mm carb.

+1
    If you can find a used superjet, you would be a lot happier with that instead of a kawi. They ride much better and can be found for 12-1800

Thank you both of you, I am looking at superjets also but they are more expensive and I didnt know if I should spend so much since I'm just starting out, but if I'm gonna be tired of the kawi in a year why not get the best ski when I start out and ,earn on ? Also when is the best time of year to buy them ? I'd imagine as close to the end of summer as possible since no one wants to store it

+1
    From what I've seen about October to February is when they are the cheapest. After my above mentioned mods I have not grown tired of my 650sx. I also have a squarenose Superjet with a couple mods that I'll be totally rehabbing this winter (i hope) but If there's a big money difference just spend the extra on mods for the 650sx. A stockish 650 powered Superjet feels very large and heavy compared to my 650sx. I have not ridden a 701 powered Superjet.

Thread Information