SL650: Could new stator affect old CDI?

I just replaced the engine in 1995 SL650. Engine was exchange from SBT. Also installed a new stator, also from SBT. Prior to replacing engine, the engine was running. After installing the new engine, I get no spark.

Completed the following steps:
    1) Disconnected black/yellow stop switch wire
    2) Changed all spark plug terminals
    3) 1-year old battery fully charged to 12.71 volts
    4) Tested stator wires with ground disconnected. Readings within spec.
    Alternator coil: .6
    Trigger coil: 215.4
    Pulser coil: 90.6
    Exiter coil: 501.5
    5) Ignitional coil primary block within spec: .2/.3/.3

Tech manual says change CDI module. But it doesn't make sense that the CDI would be bad. I suspect the new Stator from SBT over the existing CDI that was working prior to rebuild.

Can't test with the old stator as I damaged it when removing the flywheel.

Having dealt with SBT before, I know they will defer any fault on their own components. So sending them back their stator will be futility.

Is there another test to check whether there is power going to the ignition coils?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffchandler1 View Post
    I just replaced the engine in 1995 SL650. Engine was exchange from SBT. Also installed a new stator, also from SBT. Prior to replacing engine, the engine was running. After installing the new engine, I get no spark.

... I suspect the new Stator from SBT over the existing CDI that was working prior to rebuild.

Can't test with the old stator as I damaged it when removing the flywheel.
    There seems to be some issues regarding the aftermarket stators. It is unclear whether all of these aftermarket stators are marginal and/or some are just too far below borderline or if some of the stators are actually just fine and others are simply defective.

The ohm checks on the stator coils may not be able to tell you if the aftermarket stator was manufactured incorrectly. The official Polaris stator service manual tests assume that the stator is a genuine OEM part.

Are there any markings at all on the stator?

+1
    I find it fascinating that SBT does not offer the 750 stator, which I thought was the most popular/plentiful Fuji motor on the planet....

I wonder if in fact the one they list for the 650 may not be compatible with the actual 650 CDI....?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    I find it fascinating that SBT does not offer the 750 stator, which I thought was the most popular/plentiful Fuji motor on the planet....

I wonder if in fact the one they list for the 650 may not be compatible with the actual 650 CDI....?
    Perhaps a call to Tom V would help answer some questions?

Bluefish, my thoughts are similar. I'm relatively certain that my existing CDI is still working. And, installing an identical CDI will give me an identical result. Insanity ensues.

I'm considering installing a 750 CDI into a 650 engine. Comparing specs on the SL650 vs SL750 for 1995 model years, the two engines have different timing advances:
    SL650: 18 degrees at 3000 RPM
    SL750: 24 degrees at 3000 RPM

I assume the reason for the greater advance on the bigger engine is that there is more fuel in a larger cylinder, and it takes longer to fully ignite the fuel in the chamber. Thus, they start the ignition much sooner at higher RPMs.

The CDIs from the two engines must provide different advance curves. My questions are:

1) Will it damage the engine to use the CDI from the 750 on the 650 engine?
    2) Can this advance adjustment be accomodated by retarding the stator? It doesn't change the curve,and may waste some fuel, but reduces risk of damage at higher RPMs.

I live in Colorado, and the lowest elevation this machine will operate is 4600ft, but often up to 7-8000 feet. The pressure differences mean that air enters and exits the chamber at slower rates than at sea level. I've read that 1 degree advance will account for about 1000 feet of elevation. Given that formula, the 6 degree additional advance provided by the 750 CDI should be a perfect adjustment for high altitude operation.

Are there any holes in this theory?
    Last edited by jeffchandler1; 07-21-2014 at 11:44 PM.

I got spark!!!

I'm using an after market CDI [brand ARIETEK] which is advertised as a stock replacement for Polaris F8T32071. For the stator, I'm using SBT code 14-301, which SBT advertises as OEM replacement for Polaris 3240202.

I'm not sure if this was the year that Polaris went 'digital' on the SL750, and 'analog' on the SL650. But my suspicion is the same as BluefishCrisis stated above, that SBT is selling a 650 stator that doesn't work with the 650 CDI, but does work with the 750 CDI. I'm not going to pursue trying to crack the code. I just know the marriage between these two components generates spark.

Next, I'm going to pull the engine and reset the timing. As the factory timing curve is slightly more advanced on the SL750 than the SL650, I'm going to retard the base timing by 2 degrees. I'll report the results in another day or so.

Thread Information