Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Wave Raider 760 - Not matching engine

So I just bought what I thought was going to be a wave raider 760 with the engine torn apart. I know next to nothing about boats, but cars, motorcycles and quads are my forte.

Anyway. I get the ski home (Only paid $200 for ski + trailer) and start looking at what I have to work with. I start piecing everything together and I learn that I have all of the large parts + gaskets needed for the job. I go online and start searching and thats when I realize that the 760 comes with two carbs, mine has 1 carb. It also appears to be aftermarket, with an aftermarket intake. Is this a thing? I did some searches and cant find out. Maybe this motor was swapped at some point? Here are some pictures of what I am working with. I'd hate to be in a position where I am screwed with parts/getting it running.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0268.jpg 
Views:	699 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	336679

Name:	IMAG0266.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	336680

Name:	IMAG0264.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	336681

Name:	IMAG0272.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	336682

+1
    The head is definitely 64x. 64x is the designation for the 760. You will have to measure cylinders to verify if they are for the 760....should measure 84mm. The crank looks shot in those cases. Check the cases carefully. I know they made a single carb raider for one year....but I thought it was a 61x. (701 with single carb). If the hull looks good....you still did good. You can pick up the parts you're missing from eBay for cheap. Good luck with it. I was checking the pics one more time. The engine looks to be the 760. That intake definitely does not go with it. If you use that carb check the jetting. The red fitting is for an aftermarket flame arrestor. I would bet the carb came from a 61x. If so, it should have 2 oil fittings on it.....If not. ...There is why the 61x is also in pieces somewhere. Looks like the hull ended up being a parts trash can.
    Last edited by butterbean_29512; 07-21-2014 at 11:13 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by butterbean_29512 View Post
    The head is definitely 64x. 64x is the designation for the 760. You will have to measure cylinders to verify if they are for the 760....should measure 84mm. The crank looks shot in those cases. Check the cases carefully. I know they made a single carb raider for one year....but I thought it was a 61x. (701 with single carb). If the hull looks good....you still did good. You can pick up the parts you're missing from eBay for cheap. Good luck with it. I was checking the pics one more time. The engine looks to be the 760. That intake definitely does not go with it. If you use that carb check the jetting. The red fitting is for an aftermarket flame arrestor. I would bet the carb came from a 61x. If so, it should have 2 oil fittings on it.....If not. ...There is why the 61x is also in pieces somewhere. Looks like the hull ended up being a parts trash can.

The red fitting is simply a spacer/adaptor to allow a pod filter to clamp on. Believe it or not, the entire bottom end feels awesome. The crank spins nicely and after my intial feeler gauge measurements, its still in spec. I will check the numbers on the head today and measure the cylinders.

So basically, these came in one year with a single carb version? Like i said, the read to carb plate looks new and its powdercoated silver hammertone, that does not match the exhaust and head on the motor.

+1
    I was able to measure the cylinder and it came out to be 83 mm using my dead calipers paired with the old tape measure for reference. The head is also marked as a 64x and the hull according to the hull tag is a 93. This is using the last two numbers on the tag.

The carb has two oil lines, which go right to the pump and two fuel lines attached. The filter that goes with it is a pod filter with a outerwear cover. I mocked everything up against the motor and it looks like everything should fit.

With one carb, what should the jetting be? What about the high and low idle?

I'm missing literally every bolt to put this thing back together. I'm stopping by the owners house to see if maybe there is a can full of bolts somewhere

+1
    Here is the head Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1406027682290.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	124.7 KB 
ID:	336714

+1
    The cylinders are probably 84mm, which makes it a 760. If it were a 701, the max bore would be 82.5. If I remember correctly, there was a single carb conversion kit floating around for the yamahas. I wouldn't use it....I'd get a set of 44's like it had originally. You won't be happy with the performance of the single carb. Single carb raiders were rated at 63hp, the 760 with dual 44's are rated at 90. A big jump. I'd have the cylinders measured by a machine shop, or be sure you have the right measurement. 83 isn't correct. Someone could have swapped a single carb engine into it. You can get an entire engine from SBT for 8 plus tax....but you have to have all the bolts first. Good luck and keep us posted, I'll help you all I can....I have done a lot of work on the raiders.

+1
    The cylinders are probably 84mm, which makes it a 760. If it were a 701, the max bore would be 82.5. If I remember correctly, there was a single carb conversion kit floating around for the yamahas. I wouldn't use it....I'd get a set of 44's like it had originally. You won't be happy with the performance of the single carb. Single carb raiders were rated at 63hp, the 760 with dual 44's are rated at 90. A big jump. I'd have the cylinders measured by a machine shop, or be sure you have the right measurement. 83 isn't correct. Someone could have swapped a single carb engine into it. You can get an entire engine from SBT for 8 plus tax....but you have to have all the bolts first. Good luck and keep us posted, I'll help you all I can....I have done a lot of work on the raiders. If you build the motor, pull it and split the cases and check the crank. Use all new gaskets.

+1
    The cylinders are probably 84mm, which makes it a 760. If it were a 701, the max bore would be 82.5. If I remember correctly, there was a single carb conversion kit floating around for the yamahas. I wouldn't use it....I'd get a set of 44's like it had originally. You won't be happy with the performance of the single carb. Single carb raiders were rated at 63hp, the 760 with dual 44's are rated at 90. A big jump. I'd have the cylinders measured by a machine shop, or be sure you have the right measurement. 83 isn't correct. Someone could have swapped a single carb engine into it. You can get an entire engine from SBT for 8 plus tax....but you have to have all the bolts first. Good luck and keep us posted, I'll help you all I can....I have done a lot of work on the raiders.

thanks for all of your help thus far. I just rechecked my calculations of the cylinder and it checked out to be 82.55mm. Can the 760 be sleeved down for the 701? The pistons and rings fit into the cylinders fine, so at least that is a match. Did the 701 run the single carb?

+1
    Looks like it's 701 that has been bored to max. It's a judgment call on putting it back together. You could do a cylinder exchange for 500, comes with the complete top end minus the head. You still have to find a head.....61x and 62t heads are plentiful. Even at 63hp with a top end of 48mph it will still be a fun machine, and as a bonus will be a gas sipper. My 760 goes through gas like you wouldn't believe. The motor had to be a transplant. It would help if you knew where it came from. Maybe the PO knows and will tell you.

+1
    Looks like it's 701 that has been bored to max. It's a judgment call on putting it back together. You could do a cylinder exchange for 500, comes with the complete top end minus the head. You still have to find a head.....61x and 62t heads are plentiful. Even at 63hp with a top end of 48mph it will still be a fun machine, and as a bonus will be a gas sipper. My 760 goes through gas like you wouldn't believe. The motor had to be a transplant. It would help if you knew where it came from. Maybe the PO knows and will tell you.

In all honesty, I really dont want to throw any money at this thing at all. I'd like to keep the cost low and just get it back together and see how she runs before doing anything. I'd like to get her together and then do a compression check and go from there.

Were the 701's single carbed? Would that make sense why I only have one carb? I will take some more detailed pictures later. Also, dont I have the head for the 760?

Last thing, if I were to install the block off plate for the oil pump and switch to premix, how does the crank case get its oil? do you still keep the oil tank in the hull and let it do the crank case? This whole, not sealed crankcase is a strange theory to me.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information