Should I consider buying a 2004 msx 150

Hi,

It's been awhile for me having a pwc. As I sold my old Polaris virage I a few years ago.
    Well once again I'm look found a local 2004 msx 150 with 42.2hrs and the sfib power down issue for $2400 asking price. Considering I like the Polaris I had before and was able to work on it. Would it be a bad investment to try and pick it up maybe bit cheaper and fix it?

I also searched the forum for info on an aftermarket module for a possible fix and found a factory module that came off a part out. So I do have a general idea of what has to be done to fix it. At least barring any other issues that might arise.

Thanks for the info
    AJ

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Have you read up regarding the Weber turbo engine?

This engine is completely different from all other Polaris engines, and very different even compared to the fuel injected Virage i.

I'm not well verse on the weber motor(guess I know what I'll be reading up on today).

Should I steer clear of the weber motor K447?

I'm versed on working engines that are either tough cause of design or just no longer produced. So I may have a late start at it for the weber motor but I'm sure I could figure it out. As long as I could get a service manual so I wasn't completely blind working on it.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rhino81 View Post
    I'm not well verse on the weber motor(guess I know what I'll be reading up on today).

Should I steer clear of the weber motor K447?

I'm versed on working engines that are either tough cause of design or just no longer produced. So I may have a late start at it for the weber motor but I'm sure I could figure it out. As long as I could get a service manual so I wasn't completely blind working on it.
    There have been some good threads recently discussing this engine. Not just in this MSX section.

See my signature links for further related info.

Yeah I searched the forum and found a few good articles on the weber motor. Think its hammock time to read up on it.

Thanks again K447

+1
    $2500 for an MSX 150? Is that with trailer? Knowing what I know about the Weber skis (MSX 110/150)... and how much it costs to fix and/or make them reliable... I'd pass.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=220270

Cheers!

Yeah it comes with trailer.
    And is running good from what I understand the only issue is the sfib power down module not working properly. I wouldn't pay $2400 for it Id try to get that figure down to off set cost of repair. Plus I would check for other tell tell signs of possible issues and see if anything else had been fixed or repaired. Tho owners aren't always upfront.

Its been my experience with pwc and motorcycles alike that fixes aren't always cheap. The Virage I that I once had and the older yamaha motorcycle I currently have taught me that one.

Price of having fun toys I figure especially ones they no longer make parts for.

Thanks Ripcuda for the input

+1
    If it checks out in good condition:
    - compression 130+ in each
    - oil at the correct level (see K447's sig for details on checking)
    - no foamy/milky looking oil
    - no oil slick in the coolant
    - starts and idles well (1500/1550 rpms) (use reverse when starting out of the water)
    - test ride for at least 10 minutes to ensure up to temps... you should see ~7400 rpms (varies based on air temps, water temps, altitude) at ~ 64mph (on the indicator... closer to 60mph on GPS)

then I'd say you could be looking at a good deal. But that's a lot of if's!

FYI... if you buy an aftermarket SIFB... like from Martos... there is not auto shutdown feature if you leave the lanyard IN. System is always powered up when the lanyard is inserted.

Cheers!

Thanks Ripcuda for the list of items to check that is greatly appreciated.

Yeah there are a lot of if's there gonna have to mull it over before I seriously consider tryin to pick it up.

Thread Information