2002 Kawasaki 1100 DI engine problems

Not long purchased my first jetski

The ski does not perform as it should I have had problems ever since I had to tow another jetski into a light current and the ski that i towed had a lot of water in it. it appears to be fine at low speed but does not accelerate and will only do 45km/h max i have checked prop clearances and it does not seem to miss or backfire . All 3 cylinders have good spark (new plugs) I've good fresh fuel and the correct 2 stroke oil . also notice it will turn it self off when idling i think that might be a seperate issue as it had a tps fault previously . Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by jetskiboi View Post
    Not long purchased my first jetski

The ski does not perform as it should I have had problems ever since I had to tow another jetski into a light current and the ski that i towed had a lot of water in it. it appears to be fine at low speed but does not accelerate and will only do 45km/h max i have checked prop clearances and it does not seem to miss or backfire . All 3 cylinders have good spark (new plugs) I've good fresh fuel and the correct 2 stroke oil . also notice it will turn it self off when idling i think that might be a seperate issue as it had a tps fault previously . Any help would be greatly appreciated!

First thing i would do is locate the manual online for free. Then I would start by doing a compression test on all 3 cylinders. I would pickup a diagnostic cable and a copy of kadiag, or look into a candoopro. They essentially do the same thing, but the candoo is able to be used on other makes and models of skis, but a bit pricy. At least then you can check for codes on the emm.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    did you use the factory specified sparkplugs?..or what the autoprts guy said was a "cross reference"

typical problem caused by the wrong plugs is refusal to idle.

The correct plugs are wallet flatteningly expensive, so quite a few folks show up at my shop with the wrong ones installed..and then the fun begins.

Typically they lose the double or nothing bet that just the plugs will fix their problem. It's that critical of an issue for Ficht engines.

Could be that the fuel pressure regulator is stuck..try squeezing the return line with a line pincher..better yet, check the actual fuel pressure.

next suspect would be the cps...

and welcome to GH!
    Last edited by K447; 08-03-2014 at 01:16 PM.

+1
    Pete's dead on about Ficht and using the correct sparkplugs, also indexing the plugs helps startup and idle. you will get better performance out of the mtr because the fuel injector is spraying fuel directly into the open side of the spark plug and igniting better. Also you will get longer plug life out of your plugs and they will not carbon up so fast.

Thread Information