New guy here. need some help

So ive got a 99 gp1200. just bought it and its my first watercraft of any kind ive ever owned. Been looking around at different forums for advice and this seems to be one of the better ones so i joined! Seems these gp1200s are know for their bouncy ride and ive found mine to be very rough in any chop. I looked around and I THINK I know what I need but I need you guys to look over my list and add or change anything. Im very much a newb when it comes to these machines so please be patient with me haha. Heres my list so far. Any help is greatly appreciated. And I will be riding in lakes no ocean.

http://www.rivayamaha.com/RivaStore/...1200,%20GP1200

http://www.rivayamaha.com/RivaStore/...0Ride%20Plates

Sponsons: but not able to find any yet so any help with a link for those would be great

+1
    i purchased a set of worx sponsons, attempted install, and wound up throwing them away after 20 minutes. i was highly disgusted with their QA/QC. wr511 is the kit associated with gp760/1200. maybe i had a bad kit, but the bolts/screws came unthreaded (yes, bolts w/o threads) and the the outside rails were not backcut to sit flush on the inner rails.

Look around for other manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by reactorpwr View Post
    i purchased a set of worx sponsons, attempted install, and wound up throwing them away after 20 minutes. i was highly disgusted with their QA/QC. wr511 is the kit associated with gp760/1200. maybe i had a bad kit, but the bolts/screws came unthreaded (yes, bolts w/o threads) and the the outside rails were not backcut to sit flush on the inner rails.

Look around for other manufacturers.
    Did you end up just going back to stock?

+1
    yeah, went back to stock, cleaned off the adjustment bolts and neverseized them before putting them back in.

As far as 1200's being bouncy i dont know. My 760 sure as hell was bouncy at WOT on glass. I think the rideplate on the 1200s were longer than the 760s and that the 1200s had the power to keep the ski from porpoising. I can measure my R&D plate for you though if you wish. Did some modifications since getting the ski back on the water a few months ago.

Ride plate with washers, extended nozzle, impeller swap. Those 3 have pretty much fixed any porpoising I had on mine. Non-performance mods=2nd battery, and speakers for riding.

+1
    99GP1200, I have both GP1200 & GP1300, they normally perform well on lakes. Poor on ocean chop. Having said that, try adjusting your trim, nose down some. Yes a good top loader intake grate is a must .... but I recommend an R&D 1200 grate & R&D ride plate. Then some aftermarket trim tabs should solve your problem.. 1st things 1st, contact Rich, @ wfo performance. He is an expert with the Yamaha GP 1200. He will answer your questions and only make recommendations that will get you where you want to go. Good luck P.S. he is on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by OzarkYamMonster View Post
    99GP1200, I have both GP1200 & GP1300, they normally perform well on lakes. Poor on ocean chop. Having said that, try adjusting your trim, nose down some. Yes a good top loader intake grate is a must .... but I recommend an R&D 1200 grate & R&D ride plate. Then some aftermarket trim tabs should solve your problem.. 1st things 1st, contact Rich, @ wfo performance. He is an expert with the Yamaha GP 1200. He will answer your questions and only make recommendations that will get you where you want to go. Good luck P.S. he is on this forum.
    Ok thanks so much Ill contact him with any questions.

Thread Information