Sticky starter button or starter. Help

I have a 2006 GTI ski that all in the family rides. It is the "beater ski" It is now having difficulty starting. You have to press the start button numerous times and then will arbitrarily start. Once it gets the signal to start if fires quickly and runs fine. This issue appears to be getting worse slowly just not sure where to look first. Any thoughts?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Familycat View Post
    I have a 2006 GTI ski that all in the family rides. It is the "beater ski" It is now having difficulty starting. You have to press the start button numerous times and then will arbitrarily start. Once it gets the signal to start if fires quickly and runs fine. This issue appears to be getting worse slowly just not sure where to look first. Any thoughts?

Rick
    I would start by checking ALL connections of the battery cables to make sure they are good and not corroded. If all good, I would then jump the two wires that go to the start button (likely a connector at the bottom of the steering column) and see if it cranks normally. This will rule out a sticky start button assembly. If it cranks normally, you found your problem. If it still acts screwy, the next thing I would do is spend $40 and replace the starter solenoid. If it fixes it, great. If not, it was probably going to fail soon anyhow and now you have a known good one to continue your diagnosis with.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by surfcitypops View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Familycat View Post

Rick

I would start by checking ALL connections of the battery cables to make sure they are good and not corroded. If all good, I would then jump the two wires that go to the start button (likely a connector at the bottom of the steering column) and see if it cranks normally. This will rule out a sticky start button assembly. If it cranks normally, you found your problem. If it still acts screwy, the next thing I would do is spend $40 and replace the starter solenoid. If it fixes it, great. If not, it was probably going to fail soon anyhow and now you have a known good one to continue your diagnosis with.
    I would just jumper the wiring if it starts it the starter switch, if not, then start checking connects/relay etc etc being able to use a multimeter would come in handy.....

+1
    Sounds like he starter relay going out...they are relatively cheap and easy to replace. My 02 gtx was having the same exact issue and a new relay corrected it.

Thread Information