Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2000 YAM GP1200r - 2nd Engine / 3rd breakdown

Hello all, I am new to Greenhulk and learning how to work on a 00' Yamaha GP1200r two stroke engine.

After rebuilding the top end from SBT, blocking off the oil pump and using premix, I have another engine failure after less than 10 hours on the ski.

When purchased, it already had a rebuilt motor so I was happy to have a motor with low hours on it. However, after only 8 hours the motor was gone. When inspecting the engine my father came to the conclusion that the oil line came off the third cylinder.

We replaced the top end from SBT, rebuilt the carbs, installed a block off kit and started pre mixing the fuel. It ran like a champ until I made the poor decision to tow my brother-in law's boat with the ski back to shore. I went slow and steady but felt what I was doing was no bueno.

Now I have blown engine #2 (3 total) and the cause is unknown. The engine did not fail while towing the boat. Instead it failed the time after. I was taking it out for one last spin after riding it for about 30 min and it just died in the middle of the lake with no warning signs.

We have pulled the engine for a second time and pistons 1,2 and 3 are scared up with 1 broken ring and a broken rod clip - as you can imagine, no compression to two cylinders and one very low. The catalytic converter was in two pieces (did not know the condition of the catalytic converter from the 1st breakdown).

The engine has not locked up yet, rods and crank seem to be in good working order. We will know the condition of the crank after we either buy the coupler wrench and flywheel holder or pay the local dealer to remove it for us. We hope to get some advice from the mechanic during that process.

There is no doubt the ski is running lean. I took precautions through the break in period and mixed 32:1 with proper winterizing when it sat up in the winter.

Forgive the short novel. I have read forum after forum and will continue reading until I find the right solutions for this problem. I can either rebuild the top end and get it running to sell or fix the problem without a doubt knowing what caused it.

My questions are:
    1.Could I have messed up towing another boat at low speeds?
    2.What are the typical problems that make these ski's unreliable? carbs? They are fixed so adjusting is out of the question.
    3.If I were to rebuild, Is there a certain brand piston to switch to other than OEM? SBT again? WSM or Wiesco?
    4.Instead of buying a catalytic converter ($1200) I want to swap to D-plate w/chip... with that said, what else would I have to do to a stock engine for that modification?
    5.What are your suggestions?

Thank you, your time is much appreciated

Alan

+1
    Towing should not be a problem. I've used my gpr to tow my wake boat home over an hour loaded with people. Probably didn't even drain the ballast tanks all the way. At least mine can take it. Ski doesn't know its not going 60 mph.

The GPR is a GREAT ski, if you rebuild it right. I'm going to post my rebuild checklist in a new thread if its something you want to undertake.

absolutely. thank you

+1
    Did you do pressure test the motor after it was together? That seems to be something people overlook.

no but that is something I need to look into

+1
    Seriously? That could have been part of your problem. If you cant make a set of blockoffs there are folks on here that will let you borrow theirs. Best of luck this time.Love the GPR

how would I go about borrowing a set?

+1
    post on here that you need a set. There might be someone close to you that has them. Or do a search and see how to make your own.

thanks

+1
    if i had it, i'd trade milos for use of it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information