Zxi 750 30 minutes of fun?

Hello everyone. This is my first post from a suggestion about this site for Jet Ski issue. I recently bought a 1996 Kawasaki 750 ZXI. I bought it from a guy who had it sitting for 3+ years in an insulated garage. He offered me $1,000 for it and the trailer, which both are in great condition. I made the purchased and got it home late March this year. I took a risk because I know there can be some issues when people leave things sitting for a while. I replaced the battery with a new one and the old gas was siphoned out of the gas tank. I also replaced the gas filter on the side of the hull and replaced the spark plugs. I also blew in the gas line leading up to the fuel tank to make sure nothing was plug up. It then fired up and sounded good. I did a compression test and both cylinders gave me a reading of 180 psi. Pleased with the results I took the Jet Ski to the lake that weekend. It drove great on the lake, but 30 minutes into having a smile on my face it stopped. I tried to restart it but I had no luck. Luckily someone was close to tow me to shore. It was not bright to drive into the middle of the lake on my first attempt. It was trying to turn over but failed to do so. When I got home I decided to rebuild the carburetor and replaced the base gasket. When I finished with these I did another compression check and I still got 180 psi on both cylinders. The engine appears and sounds good. Just last week I took it out to the lake again. After I unloaded it in the water it fired up without any issues. Then again, after approximately 30 or so minutes, it came to a complete stop. I tried to turn over without any success. This has been somewhat frustrating. The engine seems good but something is cutting it out. I am not sure if it is an electrical or gas starving problem. A thing to add to that I have to leave the battery disconnected because if I do not the battery drains to empty over the course of the week. I am not sure if that is related. I thought it is the trim draining it but I removed the fuse and it did not have an impact of the battery staying charged. Upon getting it home, it is usually hard to get it to restart. It takes me many attempts to get it able to fire up again.

Any suggestions or ideas what to do? Anyone have something related to this before? Water, electrical, terrible driver?
    Thanks

+1
    Check and make sure your fuel tank vent is worKing. May also want to go through the carbs at a minimum checking the internal filters

Where is the fuel tank located? I can't seem to locate it in the Kawasaki Repair manual. I rebuilt the carburetor. Are you referring to the metal filters on top of the carb?

I'm sorry, I mean where the vent is located?

+1
    It's got oil in it, right?

Yes, there is oil in it. I noticed the blue oil in the carburetor rebuild. Also the exhaust gives out a blueish exhaust smoke.

Maybe there is something wrong with your electrical system. Stator, rectifier, etc

+1
    When it acts up, pull a spark plug and crank it to see if you've got spark. Try choking it or putting a teaspoon of gas down each carb and see if it starts. Try riding it with the seat off to see if you see anything unusual.

Can anyone tell me where the fuel relief check valve is on this Zxi? I looked through the parts diagram and I cannot locate it. Or a part number will help.
    Thanks.

Thread Information