Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

need advice on cooling

hey guys, I am seeing engine coolant temps as high as 198* after a WOT run. I am running closed loop with a 160T-stat.

With water temps 85+, am I correct in thinking I need a heat exchanger to bring temps down?

Any advice on type, size, brand and water routing while using the ride plate would be appreciated

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mibunkerking View Post
    hey guys, I am seeing engine coolant temps as high as 198* after a WOT run. I am running closed loop with a 160T-stat.

With water temps 85+, am I correct in thinking I need a heat exchanger to bring temps down?

Any advice on type, size, brand and water routing while using the ride plate would be appreciated

thanks
    The racers tend to want to run a little cooler than that but they do open loop to get there.. That is real close to what my stock cooling ski runs as I recall.

Andy

+1
    Something is certainly wrong. What brand thermostat are you running?

Check to see if cooling system is holding pressure.
    Check for a collapsed (suction) hose while under speed - right side hose on ride plate to bottom water pump.

I ride in 82-84 degree water (104 degree air heat index) and I never see over 166 degree!

+1
    open loop is the only way to run cooler.... the coolant in hot temps gets heat soaked in the ride plate and then becomes hot so the ski will run hotter.... your best bet is the riva open loop kit or a heat X .
    The riva kit has a 160 stat and my engine will run at 160 when crusing but after a hard 1000ft run wot or less ill creep up to 185-190 then back down to 160. When running bigger boost chargers or higher rpm you need to have good cooling because with those hotter temps will roast head gaskets adventually. Ive been running the riva kit in Canada and up here we have a lot more climate changes than those in the southern states. Been 2 years now and the kit runs great... I also don't run an oil cooler with mine its blocked off to help keep my temps steady. Remember running too cold as well is bad because it will allow the ecu to dump fuel because the engine isn't within operating temps....

you can run which ever ride plate you want as well... Erik at speedfreeks made me a plate but not to sure it would work well with closed loop because knowing I run open loop he took a little extra material off

+1
    My ski yesterday,with a 160 thermostate/20 plate HX after a long WOT run was up near 175/180 degrees...That was at 8500 RPMs with a 2 Rude on a 92 degree day..200 is a little high IMO for having a 160 thermo..how hard are you riding it???How old is your coolant??Is it Full??Maybe the theremo is sticking open....watch your gauge to see if it holds around 160, or if it just climbs to 200

+1
    I do NOT want to go open loop as I ride 95% salt water. just less hassle with closed loop.

I believe it is a riva stat. My latest CMD log of WOT run started off at about 170* with 175-186* in mid-high range and peaked at 190* after the WOT run. looking back at other logs, average operating temp seems to be around 185 with the highest being 198.4*. I have one log thats entirely 185+

what you guys think?

+1
    Sounds like you have a 180 degree thermo....Seriously......Something is not right..you should NOT see temps that high with a 160..Riva or not maybe the wrong thermo go put back in upon assembly

+1
    coolant was changed over the winter when I had to remove the plate and bottle is between the lines.

+1
    The PO installed the stat and the housing looks like its been messed with before. so I dont know.

+1
    Yeah i would lean toward that...i bet either they put the wrong stat back in OR the wrong style stat..NOt unless yours is sticking open

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information