Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Pump Bracket romoval!?!

I removed the ride plate while rebuilding the pump on my STXR, I could not remove the intake grate. The grate seems to be corroded in place due to the dissimilar steel shims. Ummmmm why are these plain steel?

...anyway the intake grate needs replacement and I could not break it free from the pump bracket. I figured I would remove the entire pump bracket from the hull and do the repair on a bench instead of being upside down with the ski on a trailer. Of course with so much silicone I've been scraping and prying for hours and not even a wiggle from the bracket. I assume the entire bracket is coated in silicone and thus glued to the hull.

I figured the bracket was probably the same on the 4 strokes so I was hoping someone on here could help!

Anyone remove the bracket before? any tips?

I'm so pissed over this thing, first I posted it in the Seadoo section, now I spell Removal wrong! I'm about to throw this thing in the bay!!!

Thanks!

The intake grate has 2 allen head bolts (6x1, 2 at front & 2 at rear, just like many other Kawi skis and it should just come off rather easily. But maybe not if it got stuck to the bracket like you are saying...

Yep, the pump bracket is completely coated with silcone and it's a genuine PITA to remove... got to remove all and any silicone between the bracket and the hull using a thin/sharp metal scraper like tool.

+1
    How about some drastic measures...

Propane heat on the intake grate where the bolt holes are and that flat area of the grate ,could loosen or soften what's holding her up..

Also a pull bar with the right design it's one side hooks on to the grate bar and you use a mini sledge hammer to hammer straight down pulling the grate down with force,this worked for me on my Kawa zxi many yrs ago ,same problem your having...
    Try both...

+1
    I had the same exact issue on my '03 12F. I agree, It is a really silly setup with those steel shims. I also decided against the pump shoe removal and heat wasn't helping much. I am sure Oxy/A would work, but I wanted to be careful around all that fiberglass.. Also, after doing tons of prying the intake actually broke off leaving smaller pieces in those slots. Anyway, what worked for me was this : http://www.sears.com/craftsman-mediu...4&blockType=G4

I also got the 4 pack of bits at the time, and used the pointed one to get the smaller pieces out. They generally came out like butter, although the one I had to use the chisel tip on, which quickly broke the piece in half, so it wasn't a big deal. Be advised though, hold on tight because when you pull the trigger on this thing it really hammers and will go all over the place. Good luck man...

+1
    Stoner sells a citrus cleaner that attacks the toughest silicones. It takes some time to work it's thing but it does the job.

+1
    Yeah I was hoping to find a solvent that wouldn't harm the fiberglass. I'll try to find it.

I guess I'll keep scraping and swearing at this thing!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamescmei View Post
    I figured the bracket was probably the same on the 4 strokes so I was hoping someone on here could help!

I had to remove one recently on a '06 15F. Impeller/shaft splines were seized and the previous owner broke the intake grate trying to get the pump off. After cutting the pump shaft from the inside of the boat to remove the pump, the only way to fix the broken grate was to remove the pump bracket and Dremel out the shims from the top side. You have to get all pieces of the shims out so new shims will fit.

Take off the 4 bolts on the bottom of the bracket, and 2 that are inside, and then start prying around the sides and bottom. It will eventually come off. I was able to do it in about 5-10 min, then another 30 min. cleaning up all the silicone. Don't fret of you chip the gelcoat a bit where you are prying. You'll be using more silicone to reattach the bracket and can cover the chips.

-Greg

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by boudin View Post

I had to remove one recently on a '06 15F. Impeller/shaft splines were seized and the previous owner broke the intake grate trying to get the pump off. After cutting the pump shaft from the inside of the boat to remove the pump, the only way to fix the broken grate was to remove the pump bracket and Dremel out the shims from the top side. You have to get all pieces of the shims out so new shims will fit.

Take off the 4 bolts on the bottom of the bracket, and 2 that are inside, and then start prying around the sides and bottom. It will eventually come off. I was able to do it in about 5-10 min, then another 30 min. cleaning up all the silicone. Don't fret of you chip the gelcoat a bit where you are prying. You'll be using more silicone to reattach the bracket and can cover the chips.

-Greg

Wait wait! There are two bolts on the inside? Are we talking about the intake grate or the pump bracket?

+1
    Wait wait! There are two bolts on the inside? Are we talking about the intake grate or the pump bracket?
    The pump bracket has six (6) bolts. Four (4) underneath, and two (2) on the inside of the ski. The bolts on the inside are covered with silicone that you'll need to scrape off first.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kawasaki 15f pump bracket.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	338117

The intake grate has two (2) bolts forward, and two (2) bolts aft.

-Greg

+1
    Great, let me take a look, I've been away from the project for a bit but maybe I have two bolts holding it in!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information