2002 800 XLT Engine "Blown" ** Need Your Opinions

Greetings Greenhulkers. Long time lurker, first time poster.

Recently, my family picked up a 2002 800 XLT with 92.7 hours logged on it. Checked it over, water tested and took it on our annual 4th of July lake visit. Ran great the first two days of the trip...nice idle, 52 MPH top speed with me and one son (350 lbs combined). Wife and I were high fiving the whole week because the kids loved it and we felt like we'd gotten a good deal.

Day Three...wife takes out with one of our sons and runs it across the lake. A couple of our guests take it out for a spin and one buddy tells me the ski died on him while idling. Thought it was strange, so I took it out and it was running rougher at idle. Seems to run OK mid range...a little boggy, and only could get up to the mid-40's.

I thought maybe bad fuel or a fuel delivery problem, so I ran it back to the slip and parked it for the rest of the day. It would start up without a lot of coaxing and although ran rough, the wife was able to drive it to the ramp when we loaded up the next day.

I took it to my "local" Yamaha dealer (50 miles away) on the 11th and finally heard back from them today. They tell me one cylinder has 160 (psi?) compression and the other zero. I was surprised to hear this as I didn't think it would even run with zero compression on one cylinder. Didn't think to ask this to the service manager because he dropped the $2800 bomb on me for a new engine, new oil pump, and carb overhaul. That kinda took the wind out of my sails.

So, I've regained consciousness and thought I'd ask you experts here on the forum...is this how a ski reacts when a cylinder is bad? I've read a little about others burning holes in pistons with "lean" conditions for fuel delivery. At least I think that's the term. Will these things run on one cylinder? Is the price quote reasonable? Is there no way to replace a single piston in these engines or is that more trouble than it's worth?

Decision time. Any assistance or recommendations on smart questions to ask when I go the dealer tomorrow to talk about options (if any) are appreciated.

Darren

+1
    The 66v engine is notorious for the "lean condition", I've seen many with one cylinder damaged due to it. Most of them did still run, however poorly, with the two good cylinders. I suppose the same could be true in your case, but with two cylinders going down. If you are at all mechanically inclined, I'd recommend removing the cylinder head and taking a look for yourself, post pics here if you can. You will get lots of help on the forum, I'm sure.

As for the cost estimate. That is actually less expensive than what my local dealers want for a full engine swap or rebuild, with carb rebuild, new oil pump, etc.

Check the oil seal around the crank! I had mine blow out and ran horribly on idle but still ran but only to around 40mph. Thought the same as you dirty. gas or water in the gas.

Thanks...are there three cylinders?

Ummm...probably a really dumb question, but the service guy I talked to only mentioned compression readings for two cylinders. Do these engines have three? I only remember seeing two spark plugs on the engine. It sounds like your telling me there are three cylinders in these engines. The quote was for a "rebuilt" engine if that makes any difference.

Sincere thanks for your reply.

D

So I answered my own question and the 800 stock engine does only have two cylinders. So it is possible to run with only one good cylinder? Interesting. Saltlifebruhhh...thanks for the tip. Since these are two cycle engines, is there still an oil seal? Isn't the oil delivered with the fuel? Yeah, how engines work is not my thing...civil engineer, not mechanical. What would I be looking for with a blown oil seal?

D

+1
    Unfortunately, what I've learned from having a PWC or even a boat for that matter is that you need to either learn to work on them yourself for bend over at the stealer. Now the 2 strokes are not that hard to wrench on, but if you are not mechanically inclined, that ya gotta pay.

Zero PSI is sort of rare, but in any case, you have one cylinder that will at least need a piston/ring set. DIY minium cost would be less that $120. Contrary to popular belief, oil pumps rarely go bad. Leave it alone. However, the oil lines are too short on from the oil pump to the cylinders and with vibrations and some stretch stress pull out. Replace these lines along with the fuel lines. And finally the carbs really need a rebuild. These are important as they meter an appropriate amount of fuel to the cylinders. If they are set too lean, you will burn a piston. Use Mikuni rebuild kits only here. $100 parts. Knowledgable Labor (priceless).

DId the 2002 have the new power valves guys? I cant remembe when they fix that issue. Maybe 2004? Your engine may have lost a piston due to the power valve breaking and droping in one cylinder. You need to be sure you install wave eater clips on them if needed.

Yamaha generally have durable engines. Each brand have thier own issues.

2002 800 XLT Engine "Blown" ** Need Your Opinions

Quote Originally Posted by sn1perii View Post
    So I answered my own question and the 800 stock engine does only have two cylinders. So it is possible to run with only one good cylinder? Interesting. Saltlifebruhhh...thanks for the tip. Since these are two cycle engines, is there still an oil seal? Isn't the oil delivered with the fuel? Yeah, how engines work is not my thing...civil engineer, not mechanical. What would I be looking for with a blown oil seal?

D
    There's a seal at both ends of the crankshaft referred to as an oil seal here's a pic of mine blown out. It's the 2 black circular things. They're supposed to but tucked into those grooves creating a seal. With it blown, there's a n air leak so it ruins the air fuel ratio and your engine runs horribly. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406247730.026421.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	336916

Thanks for the help guys. As Mighty Mouse said, I'll either have to bite the bullet and trust the "stealer" (hee, hee; like that) or spend the time to fix this thing myself. Time is worth money when it comes to our short boating season. I'll let you know how it works out.

D

Thread Information