Virage txi has issues please help

My 2002 Virage TXI will run perfect for around 20 -25 minutes when it is first started up when the engine is cold. Then it will just throttle itself down and shut off. It always restarts immediately and runs perfect again for a little while, then it does it again. It sort of feels like limp mode but it dies out. It always restarts and runs perfect again. Im thinking this is temperature related as it does it at quicker intervals after it has run for a while. It always runs great for 20-25 minutes when the engine starts out cold. Once it starts doing this it seems like it does it more often when I idle around a lot like in a no wake area.Anybody have any suggestions as to what to check to fix this. Ski is fairly low hour and really great shape, Checked compression and fuel pressure and has good battery. it does this same thing with two different TPS sensors. Do you think its cooling system and lines have debris in them and could be causing it to slowly overheat? Where is the overheat sensor located? If so How do I flush all the cooling lines out? Thanks for any ideas....

Anybody?

bump

+1
    My "best guess" would be EMM.

Is there anyone near you with the same ski that you could swap EMMs for troubleshooting? Tho I don't know if you can run it that long with a swapped EMM.

Have you checked the exhaust/air temp sensors?

Any check engine or warning lights?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jdjd View Post
    My 2002 Virage TXI will run perfect for around 20 -25 minutes when it is first started up when the engine is cold. Then it will just throttle itself down and shut off. It always restarts immediately and runs perfect again for a little while, then it does it again. It sort of feels like limp mode but it dies out. It always restarts and runs perfect again.

Im thinking this is temperature related as it does it at quicker intervals after it has run for a while. It always runs great for 20-25 minutes when the engine starts out cold.

Once it starts doing this it seems like it does it more often when I idle around a lot like in a no wake area.

Anybody have any suggestions as to what to check to fix this. Ski is fairly low hour and really great shape,

Checked compression and fuel pressure and has good battery. it does this same thing with two different TPS sensors.

Do you think its cooling system and lines have debris in them and could be causing it to slowly overheat? Where is the overheat sensor located? If so How do I flush all the cooling lines out?

Thanks for any ideas....
    Just saw your thread now.

Certainly it could be the EMM needing repair. It is not unusual for an EMM to become sensitive to temperature when it starts to fail.

Check the cooling water flow that feeds through the EMM. Make sure there is both water feed and the water exit from the EMM is not blocked, kinked or crushed. The water flow first goes through the flywheel cover water jacket, then through the EMM, then exits the hull at the rear exhaust fitting.

Sometimes the small hose barb elbows at the flywheel cover get plugged with sand. If you are careful these brass elbows can be unscrewed from the cover and cleaned out.

Are you seeing any warnings on the MFI display before or when the engine shuts down?

When the engine is running normally you should be able to put your hand on any part of the engine without burning your skin. It will be very warm, but able to be touched for several seconds. If it is running so hot you cannot touch it, then something is not right.

Thanks for the reply. I am going to check the water flow through the cooling system. Im a pretty handy guy and feel I can at least check this part. Would you offer any tips or ways to check this the most thorough way? Is there any way to visually confirm that its flowing enough water? There are no warning lights at all. After it shuts down you can immediately start it up and it will run perfect again for a short time, and I mean perfect. Maybe 5 minutes. It seems that it will stay running longer the faster that I go, but it shuts off more when idling such as in a no wake area.I can hold my hand on all three cylinders without it burning my hand. Thanks for your help and any info is greatly appreciated.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jdjd View Post
    ... I am going to check the water flow through the cooling system... Would you offer any tips or ways to check this the most thorough way? Is there any way to visually confirm that its flowing enough water?

... After it shuts down you can immediately start it up and it will run perfect again for a short time, and I mean perfect. Maybe 5 minutes. It seems that it will stay running longer the faster that I go, but it shuts off more when idling such as in a no wake area...
    If you remove the cooling exit hose from the EMM, you can hook up a temporary exit hose and route it out of the hull somewhere. Then you can watch the water flow and feel the water temperature. For testing purposes I have fished a temporary water exit hose up through the large air vent flex tube and it comes out near the front of the seat.

Tip: Cap off the original water exit hose so it does not back flow into the hull during your water test ride.

To test the original water exit hose on the trailer, hook up a garden hose adapter to the original water hose at the EMM disconnect. Water should flow easily without much pressure and exit at the hull exhaust exit fitting at the rear.

If the EMM is getting water flow but it has become temperature sensitive then sometimes you can simulate the conditions using a small electric space heater. I have used one to warm up the entire EMM and see if it triggers the problem symptoms. Obviously you should not overcook it with the heater. In normal operation with working water cooling the EMM should never get any more than 'quite warm'.

On one of my Ficht machines (not the Virage) I have reworked the water flow so the EMM cooling is separate from the cooling flow through the flywheel water jacket. Each now has a separate small water exit fitting on the hull.

Thread Information