07-23-2014, 10:25 PM #1
Smokeysevin's juryrigged standup (js550) project
I was fortunate enough to pick up this beauty a few weeks ago from Ronnie (skigolfnut) and have been working on getting my trailer and myself ready for another set of cylinders. I have always wanted a standup and when Ronnie asked if I wanted to give it a home I couldnt say no. So far I have been working on getting everything to a good starting point which has entailed repairing a few damaged pieces of fiberglass, doing lots of research, removing a ton of extra parts from a box that came with the ski, and doing some general cleaning.
To start I checked the compression which was at 50 psi on one cylinder and a whopping 0 on the other. So I pulled the head and found the pistons intact but the rings glued to the pistions. So I tore into the motor, pulled the pistons, removed the rings and cleaned them, gave the cylinders a light hone, and tossed it all back together. Its now at 120 psi on both which is crap but its enough to get me through until I find a 650, 750, 800, or some parts for this poir little motor.
As it sits now its got:
an old school umi finger throttle
A bn44 carb with the pilot screw
A tauceti flame arrester and adapter
Choke blade removed
Some kind of aftermarket pipe (actually 2 plus a stocker)
A west coast waterbox (which may need some welding)
A jetsports plate (in need of love)
New odi rogue shorty grips
Rule 350 bilge pump (not installed)
Solas impeller (and another stainless)
Rev limiter bypass
Fuel water separator removed
And fuel tank vent relocated
Because the Tubbies were fit where they are I had to get creative to keep the exhaust from rubbing on the exposed screw so there is a temp hose clamp there.
The battery is my nearly dead one that I purchased for my 15f 5 years ago rather optimistically.
The waterbox strap mounts broke so those need to be reattached at the front, I am open to suggestions on what to use.
The hull needs lots of work on the bottom deck and the whole thing needs paint as its currently over 7 different colors, not just shades of orange but completely different colors.
The hood has a few drop marks that need some epoxy and there is a redbull can blocking the other air intake (probably because the pipe is too short)
The turf all has to be replaced, and probably widened up because damn that thing is narrow.
The nose needs some love and I would kill for a new handlepole, I really like the tube ones but the stock one is in remarkably good shape.
As it sits now I plan or abusing it until the winter at whick point hopefully I can find a cheap motor or rebuild this one. The crank and bottom end are in surprisingly good shape and I believe that it had a seal job within the last few years which is good for me since its sat for 2 years.
07-23-2014, 10:27 PM #2
08-06-2014, 09:11 PM #3
Had a busy evening, I had to reglass the rideplate inserts with bigger threaded ones. I cleaned the holes, threaded the stainless inserts in and checked for fit. Then removed them, added some high strength fiberglass epoxy and sent them home. I also cleaned the shitty powder coating off the rideplate while in there and recessed the plate back where it lines up with the hull.
The bilge pump is a 350 gph rule non automatic attached to some 1/8th inch aluminum plate which is held onto the thru hull cover and glued to the hull on the bottom. The only problem there is that the pump is at an angle so the tube is a little goofy I may make up a hard tube later.
The pipe on the ski right now is an orange county jet ski pipe based on the markings.
The carb is giving me trouble, its the bn44 and even when set to stock settings it doesnt want to run. If I use the pimer it lives for a few seconds which tells me that its not getting enough fuel but I cant find anything obviously wrong. When I checked the carb it was in good shape with no obvious issues although st the same time I didnt really want to spend any money on it since I want a 650 to toss in it.
Finally I finished the control cover in the footwell by installing my sealed bilge pump switch and the primer nob where the stock fuel selector went and where the stock choke lever went.
08-08-2014, 03:42 AM #4
Very coolio! Love the old subs...lol
You may want to be on the lookout for a West Coast 5 gal. tank. Great upgrade, if you like to go on long rides.
The BN may need a fresh diaphram or ?? You check the pulse I'm sure right? And then the return and vent.
I'd dump the primer. I put my hand over carb first start of the day and rarely need to again. Once in a while but rarely. Primer bulbs do not with stand this fuel we get these days. If you want to use one make sure you keep an extra on hand.
I have thought about cheater sponsons (tubbies) but am too hard core...lol Maybe in a few years when I am 60.
Are you coming to the Hahn? Or World Finals? I could bring mine so you can spin on it. They are just stupid fun.
I have a milled head and I'm 1 over on the slug. Burnt one last year so rings and 1 piston fresh. Next time I will have to go up another.
It pulls all the way thru up to top speed. It is mid 40's. Thought it was 50 but friends gps lied to me.
Those trick poles are hard to come by.
Subbed. Gotta watch this one...
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By smokeysevin in forum Trailer Modification/ProjectsReplies: 11Last Post: 12-01-2014, 09:11 PM
By MRCOOLAIDKID in forum Kawasaki ProjectsReplies: 1Last Post: 04-02-2013, 05:31 PM
By afcblink in forum Sea Doo Sport BoatsReplies: 1Last Post: 06-25-2009, 10:25 PM
By smokeysevin in forum Kawasaki ProjectsReplies: 4Last Post: 01-29-2009, 10:58 PM
By jjbncmt in forum Kawasaki SkisReplies: 0Last Post: 11-05-2008, 02:39 PM