Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

01 Virage always shows fuel at full

GH, have had great experiences and learned how to handle the issues with my Virage by reading various posts here. Bogging, water in hull, and and a jet pump section rebuild all completed successfully. Thank you for what you do here.

On my 2001 Virage, 2 cylinder, carb I have lived with the oil level not displaying, even after swapping senders, still won't display, yet I can live with it.

Now, the fuel level always shows full or 7/8 full when close to empty. On last use, it would show empty when I disconnected at connector. Cleaned connectors with electrical cleaner, still shows full.

Looked and did not see a post where another member experienced this but someone had there show empty and the advice was an ohm check.

Can I get some guidance on level showing full all the time? Thanks.
    Last edited by K447; 07-29-2014 at 03:15 PM.

I am thinking I will try another sender just connected without being installed and placed then in a pale of fuel to see if it will read correctly. That may tell me which direction to go next mfd or then replace sender.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Since both the oil level and fuel levels are not showing correctly, I would suspect something with the wiring.

Start by checking the connectors for corrosion and the wires for damage, fraying, etc. Trace the ground wires back to the electrical box. The Black wire on each sender connector should measure zero ohms back to the black wire tab terminals inside the electrical box.

Unplug the MFI display and confirm zero ohms on the display connector Black wire back to the electrical box.

Each sender has a resistance that varies with level. 33 ohms resistance between the sender connector pins indicates full level. 240 ohms between the pins indicates lowest level. In between resistance readings indicate in between liquid levels.

An ohm meter on each sender should tell you whether the sender is lying about the actual liquid level.

Resistances much greater than 240 ohms or much less than 33 ohms indicate the sender is damaged.

The Virage oil level sender is simply a friction fit plug in the top of the oil tank. Have a rag handy to catch the oil drips and wiggle the oil sender up an out. Now you can slide the float up and down and watch your ohm meter.

Tip: Tilt the nose of the trailer downwards to prevent oil from running out the open hole if the oil tank is nearly full.

The carburetor Virage fuel level sender has a float inside the aluminum sender body. The float carries a small magnet that triggers different ohm resistances as the float rides up and down inside the sender tube.

The entire sender can be removed from the tank if necessary. This is very similar to the senders used on many older models, so there are lots of photos posted.

Tip: Loosen the gas cap to release trapped air pressure before disconnecting fuel hoses.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	337326
    Last edited by K447; 07-29-2014 at 03:19 PM.

K447, many thanks for the help on this.

Cant see see anything frayed, and cleaned all connections again and then blew dry with canned air for computers. The e box in my ski looked untouched compared to other pictures I have viewed in posts.

Oil sender connector black wire to e box black wire 0 ohms. Fuel sender connector black wire to e box black wire 0 ohms. Found 0.3 ohms from mfi black wire to e box black wire. Seems I am greeting some feedback current and will need to trace wires from e box and MFI to see where this coming from.

Oil sender shows 65 ohms in tank, and would show 150 ohms when slid to full and 40 when slid to bottom and would set off low oil on MFI display and flash red light. So it works. Oil display has always read zero on my virage, I just check tank level every time I fill it with fuel to monitor the oil level.

fuel sender showing nothing when tested, tank is 7/8 full. (Will seek out a used one just in case)

Crazy part is, the fuel level will display 7/8 on MFI as long as oil sender is connected, disconnect oil sender and fuel level on MFI drops to nothing. disconnected fuel connector and fuel stays at 7/8.

More CSI to do on my electrical. Any other guidance welcomed.

+1
    Is it possible the fuel and oil sender wire harness connections have been swapped?

0.3 ohms is close enough to zero ohms, the Black MFI wire may be OK.

The connections are set up poka yoke so connectors cannot be connected to the wrong sender. Oil sender is female with blue and black wires. Fuel sender is male with pink and black wires. I will trace back to e box and compare to drawing in my manual. I am considering an issue with the wires in the duestch connector or the ground to the engine. Your thoughts on that ? Appreciate the help you are an exceptional resource as many have found on this forum.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BFriend View Post
    The connections are set up poka yoke so connectors cannot be connected to the wrong sender. Oil sender is female with blue and black wires. Fuel sender is male with pink and black wires. I will trace back to e box and compare to drawing in my manual.

I am considering an issue with the wires in the duestch connector or the ground to the engine...
    It never hurts to remove and clean all the ground connections at the engine. There is a large one at the left rear corner of the engine case, and another wire harness ground near the ignition coils, IIRC.

You want clean metal to shiny metal grounding contact. Clean the bolt and the bolt hole threads too. Also inspect the actual wires and ring terminals for corrosion or other issues.

Turns out fuel sender needs replaced as confirmed by ohm testing. Oil sender was working as it should, another lesson learned while working on my ski.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BFriend View Post

fuel sender showing nothing when tested, tank is 7/8 full. (Will seek out a used one just in case)

Crazy part is, the fuel level will display 7/8 on MFI as long as oil sender is connected,
    disconnect oil sender and fuel level on MFI drops to nothing.
    disconnected fuel connector and fuel stays at 7/8.

What was causing the oil sender to affect the fuel display?

We'll this gunna hurt. It was me thinking oil displays on left and fuel on right. This post oughta get some laughs..... Maybe delete so it does confuse anyone....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information