Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

First Service Cost

Calling around to get a feel for what the price and what is involved with the first service and these dealers want around $360 bucks for an oil change and to anti-seize the plugs... Starting to think I should just buy the oil pump/oil/filter (already have the silver anti seize) and just do it myself. Any recommendations on if I should just pay them to have it done and documented considering its the first service or should I just use that mark up to purchase the oil and oil suction pump and do it myself.

+1
    That's crazy!

Oil change is not required for 1st service. Change oil yourself is best you can do for your wallet. Paid $50 for my 10hr check up in Frankfort,IL.

+1
    Get yourself one of these...
    http://www.wholesalemarine.com/12-vo...FVQV7AodqW4A7Q
    I use mine to change the oil in my Volvo even!
    Then get yourself new plugs, oil and filter and you will save a ton of cash..
    The oil filter removal is the hardest part, I have found using a filter adapter and socket wrench is the best way, something like this....
    http://www.mts1200.info/motorcycleinfo/resources/6795/assets/images/Ducati_MTS1200/how_to_faq/service_maintenance/oil_change
    /oil_filter_socket_wrench_tool.jpg

Notice how it has square fitting so you can attach it to a socket wrench. Stick a bunch of rags or paper towels under the filter before you remove to aid in keeping the mess out of the bottom of your ski...

Yea the price quotes I'm getting are outrageous for a first service. I do want to change the oil even if its not required*. Is it necessary to change the plugs for the first service? I was under the impression just make sure they are anti-seized and your good to go for a little while.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pbc View Post
    Calling around to get a feel for what the price and what is involved with the first service and these dealers want around $360 bucks for an oil change and to anti-seize the plugs... Starting to think I should just buy the oil pump/oil/filter (already have the silver anti seize) and just do it myself. Any recommendations on if I should just pay them to have it done and documented considering its the first service or should I just use that mark up to purchase the oil and oil suction pump and do it myself.
    fuck em...
    this is why this site (GH) was created and in turn members help each other,shoot that oil is regular Kawa oil (5x$4)filter for them $8 so $28 total cost for them ...oh yeah a smear of anti seize...lol
    Changing your own oil won't void warranty ,a few of us have a few ways/tools to change oil/filter

1)best oil removed when ski is warm from riding,comes out quicker
    2)get oil extractor pump mini $50 (HT MOTO)
    3)best filter wrench can vary I've use the OEM wrench cap snapped into a mini ratchet
    4) you stand and lean over engine from port side to get under intake manifold to get filter
    5) Which oil /filter? ..varies ,frequency (15-20hrs)Many feel more important that type/brand
    6) NEVER put in more oil than you taken out ...5qts out 5qts in..oil extractor has measuring lines

You don't need to change spark plugs, just take out put some anti seize and put it back. Don't over tq your plugs.
    Search forum for video regarding correct tq. All way down by hand and from 12 o'clock to 1 o'clock w/wrench

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kaliause View Post
    You don't need to change spark plugs, just take out put some anti seize and put it back. Don't over tq your plugs.
    Search forum for video regarding correct tq. All way down by hand and from 12 o'clock to 1 o'clock w/wrench
    It doesn't include a set of plugs according to OP !
    Lets do some math...
    Say labor is $75 to $100 per hr so let's say $90...

$28 oil 5 Qts /filter / anti seize

3 hrs and 40 mins for removing oil ,removing filter/replacing filter,pouring 5 Qts oil into top valve cover,removing boots then each spark plug and smear anti seize then retorque plugs boots back on...and give a look over ,check hoses ,clamps,,start it up for good measure..

I could see $120 -150 we understand the business has expenses and entitled to make a profit but should take only 1 hr-1 1/2 time no more...

just sayin..

9. +1 by:

I would gladly pay $175 - $200 if the guy who picked up the phone had a fucking clue instead of BS'ing me about what he thinks is required etc..and on top of that quoting me over 300 most places. I'm thinking I can purchase all necessary tools and material (oil/filter) for much less than the $360.00 quote...which will in term allow me to perform this routine maint myself.

Agree 100%.Can pay reasonable price,walking away from nonsense.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information