Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

help me decide Yamaha FX SVHO vs Sea-Doo RXT-260

Hey guys can you help me decide which ski to get? I had originally asked this on the yamaha board, they told me i should get the FX, so thats what i did, i went to the dealer, they ran my credit and they were like we're going to get it to you in 1 week, 1 week goes by and they say when they went to the warehouse they noticed there was scratches on the side of the ski but weren't willing to discount it, so i was like fine order another. Well i just got a call right now and they said when they were unloading my new ski this morning the fork lift driver put a hole in the hull of the ski and they would need another week to get another. So at this point i'm a bit upset and told them to cancel my order and i will have to think about this as this would be the 3rd ski.

The model i was looking at was the 2014 Yamaha FX SVHO - MSRP $14,799 and they were willing to do it for $13,850 including all prep and trailer just plus taxes. it has a super charged motor just like the sea-doo i'm looking at.

So i guess my question is, have any of you guys owned both models or brands? which is better? I know right now sea-doo is offering 1000 rebate + 3 year warranty and low finance, so i was thinking of checking out the sea-doo. The model i'm looking at is the RXT-260 because its a 3 seater, has a powerful motor like the SVHO, can tow a wakeboard or a tube, it also has a cruise control mode which is nice in my opinion. The only thing i'm worried about is i hear the maintenance on the sea-doo is higher than the yamaha. the MSRP on the Sea-doo is $13,799; what would be a target price i should set?

Should i wait till winter to buy one for a better discount? I live in colorado so i got probably another month and a half or two at most to ride this thing.

Any advice is apprecaited

I'm at 81 hours ,and it's been great so far. I had no major issues or problems. My ski has Stage 1 upgrade on it! I had a little steering is off by dealer fixed it for free. I have been changing oil, filter, and spark plugs every 25hrs. I was worried about buying a Seadoo because of all the excessive electronics as well as the Super charger but I finally took the risk and haven't regretted it yet. Love it so far. I used to own 2009 Yamaha FXSHO but its little slow and boring! Seadoo holeshot is better and turns harder. iBR is the best feature on it for safety and easier to dock! Seadoo Rules! Good Luck on your purchase!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	1079 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	336905

No lecture on what brand ski from me but get away from that Yamma dealer! Sounds like they can't peel a banana without f'ing it up or they're lying to you.

Oh, and if you wanna jump waves like Jackmcd I'd get a two seater. The three seaters are too big in my opinion to jump without hurting them.

5. +1 by:

I'd walk into a seadoo dealer, explain that you already are just about to purchase a yammy and see what they can do for you.
    Make them fight for your business. With the 3 year warranty you can be peace of mind, and I'm sure if you really push them they might throw in some extended. Can't hurt to ask.

I currently have a 2014 RXT-260. It is nothing short of amazing. I have had a few different Seadoo and Yamaha models over the years but this RXT is fantastic. You really need to ride them both to make the best decision. Good luck.

+1
    They both have issues that would keep me from spending 14K on either one until they fix them. Yamaha is having serious paint issues. Doo has intercooler and SC issues.

Quote Originally Posted by badandyturbo View Post
    I currently have a 2014 RXT-260. It is nothing short of amazing. I have had a few different Seadoo and Yamaha models over the years but this RXT is fantastic. You really need to ride them both to make the best decision. Good luck.
    do most dealers offer test rides? I'm starting my search and it seems most here on Long Island don't offer test rides which is going to make deciding very tough for me.

+1
    You cant go wrong with the RXT, I just recently sold my 2010 RXT-X 260 and made the jump back to Yamaha for awhile. My RXT-X had 139 trouble free hours and yes, was a beast. I would have gotten the Yamaha SVHO, but riding the lakes here in the midwest, most marinas only offer 89 octane and the Yamaha SVHO does not give you any room on octane (91 minimum). Now Seadoo ECM recognize different fuel octanes and will set the timing to accommodate the octane so this is a good feature. Another point on the Seadoo is the hull, its a true fiberglass hull and you dont feel as much of the wave hits through the ski as you do with the NANO hull. Now you are probably wondering why I went to Yamaha, well prior to my RXT-X 260, I had a 08 FX SHO Cruiser and really enjoyed the ski, so I figured I would jump back to Yamaha for awhile. I have now doubt, I will go back to Seadoo again. Like several have said, try to ride both and make your own decision. People will bash all makes, but 99% of it is how you maintain your ski. So best of luck on your decision and have fun!!!

11. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by etl330 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by badandyturbo View Post
    do most dealers offer test rides? I'm starting my search and it seems most here on Long Island don't offer test rides which is going to make deciding very tough for me.
    There isn't a lot that do unless there located right on the water. You may want to search around an hour or two out from you and see if any dealers resides on the water and give them a call.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information