Thread: Granaded SC

Granaded SC

Edit(I meant grenaded)

Hi there, new member as of today.

Our family has an 04 gtx 4-tec where ceramic bearings went. (I am learning now that I should have replaced them with Ti before this happened.) The ski worked great last year, but seemed to not hit real top speeds towards the end of the season, but wasn't really noted. It was brought in for winterization and summerization at a sea doo dealer. Launched two weeks ago and instantly upon powering to 3500 rpm oil alarm went on. It was immediately stopped and put back on the trailer. Oil sensor was changed by dealer and cleared for take off. We launched it and same exact thing. Second diagnosis is that the SC bearing failed along with collateral damage - 2 oil pumps and filters. My question is...

What is the likelihood that the rest of the engine is fine; main bearings, rod bearings, wrist pins, cylinders, pistons? I have a quote to rebuild the SC, 2 oil pumps, and replace all the clogged filters ~$2500. My concern is that I have all the work ($$$) performed only to find out that 20 hrs down the road something in the main block fails.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by saabarubie; 07-25-2014 at 01:15 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by saabarubie View Post
    What is the likelihood that the rest of the engine is fine; main bearings, rod bearings, wrist pins, cylinders, pistons? I have a quote to rebuild the SC, 2 oil pumps, and replace all the clogged filters ~$2500. My concern is that I have all the work ($$$) performed only to find out that 20 hrs down the road something in the main block fails.

Thoughts?
    First thing is to pull the sc and find what what's missing. everything's gonna depend on what you find....or don't find.

+1
    What he said if the ceramic washers are missing then you have lots more problems than just rebuilding the sc and the oil pumps. You are looking at a complete tear down and flush. Hope they are still there.

John

Thanks guys. I am a little at the mercy of the dealer.

1. I am assuming that since the oil pump housing is scored that the bearing pieces got circulated. Does this sound like a correct assumption?
    2. Are there other places that you can check for signs of damage that don't require a break down (i.e. stator assembly or such?)
    3. The dealer said there are screens in the lube system that prevent pieces from getting to the bearings and such. Yes?

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by saabarubie View Post
    Thanks guys. I am a little at the mercy of the dealer.

1. I am assuming that since the oil pump housing is scored that the bearing pieces got circulated. Does this sound like a correct assumption?
    2. Are there other places that you can check for signs of damage that don't require a break down (i.e. stator assembly or such?)
    3. The dealer said there are screens in the lube system that prevent pieces from getting to the bearings and such. Yes?

Thanks again
    The screens will catch most...but by no means will they get it all. That's the reason you want to pull the sc and take inventory of what exactly is missing.

Thread Information