1997 Seaddoo GSX Electrical Issue

I was riding for 30 min. and it died. Started it and went 50 yards and it died. Trying to get back to shore continued as the time to crank got longer and the distance I could travel after crank got shorter. I'm trying to figure out if the rectifier or stator is the issue. I have no blown fuses. The battery voltage doesn't boost while ski is cranked. I have unplugged rectifier (3 yellow, red and black) and ski cranked with no blown fuses so I am not having any trouble with fuses. I tried to check stator voltage but ski will not crank if stator wire harness isn't plugged into front of engine. Can some one tell me if a rectifier can keep a battery from charging> I think the battery lost charge in middle of lake.

Same problem 3 months so simple.

99 gtx ltd 951. would die and start straight away sometimes have to wait but gradually got worse till end of outing.

Plug caps have screws inside (if you didn't know I didn't) you have screw them into the lead mine weren't so cut 1/4 inch off the lead to expose fresh wire while apart screwed them in and happy days. The computer shuts down the engine when contact is lost. Mine just today has started shorting out gave me a zap when I touched one of the leads and running rough so hopfully doesn't take as long to figure this new problem out 2 years good running can't complain use mine every or 2nd weekend.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    charge the battery, start the engine and check the battery voltage at idle and at 5k rpm, report back with results.

most likely the regulator, but a proper test is a must.

+1
    Is this battery related? I mean, does it crank slow like a low battery or just won't start? I have a 97 GSX and had a similar issue but it was my pickup assembly mount that was cracked and caused erratic rpm after about 20 minutes of riding and was hard to start. Then one day it completely broke off inside the timing cover and the ski just died and she was done. I upgraded to the newer style pickup that has been reinforced because of this problem.

Just so you know.. LOL

Non resistor plugs? Or front stator full water or broken parts has been last 40 boats I fixed.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    it's surprising how many techs don't know that rubber shrinks over time and no amount of goop is going to allow for a watertight seal. Hot air expands of course and that's the problem, the stator cover seal fails quickly when it's propped up with silicon. Good idea to always use new gaskets and such when dealing with areas that could/will be under water at some point.. Good idea for any electrical work also, consider that it might get submerged.

File this one under the :

Can I reuse a head gasket discussion....

+1
    I don't like the sound of that. Have you checked the compression.

Thread Information