Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2001 RXDI bad rectifier?

So I picked up an 01 RXDI yesterday and today took it out for a spin and it ran good but the Maintenance message and red light was blinking. I let my buddy take it for a spin and it ran good still. I then hopped on it and it wouldnt go over like 25mph and woundnt got over 4500 rmps. it was also having a hard time picking up. I went back to the dock and let it sit for a little bit and went to go start it and it wouldnt stay on. It would start then only stay on for a second then shut off. So, I took it out of the water and it started right up and went to 7100 rmps. It sounds like it went into "limp mode." the guy I got it from said it was putting up a maintenance code then he put a new battery in and it went away. The code doesnt come on out of the water. I have not seen an 12v low sign yet. Think it could be the rectifier?

+1
    I'd come more likely to believe it still has all the original fuel filters that are clogged up and causing loss of fuel pressure.

fuel filters were done last season so I dont believe it is that... like I said it started out of the water no problem so it seems like there isnt enough power going to the ski when the water is cycling through

so I did the Advanced Self-Diagnostic Mode with the ski and that worked like it should have. I did it out of the water though. I chart in the Manuel shows that it is the Throttle position sensor could be the problem. I'm not sure if there is a way to reset the computer from limp mode if anyone knows how to do that.

+1
    It has to be done with BUDS or CanDoo software.

So this means back to diagnosing the problem... according to the Manuel it is the throttle position sensor... I have not put the ski back in the water yet to see if it fixed itself... is it unusual that it revs and responds fast out of water? Should I try new plugs?

+1
    Definately try new plugs.

So new plugs are in and it makes no difference... both are sparking well... I did notice that when I was checking for spark with one plug in and the other out that it started without both plugs being on one side but not on the other... both plugs looked like they had good color (gold). It beeps twice when i put the key in but will start for a second and cut out in the water... when it finally started up and stayed running... rpms would limit to 4800... as soon as I put it on my lift and all the water was out of the system, the rpms would shoot up to normal... so confused... any thoughts?

another thing, the rmps at idle speed in the water when it was running was like 600 as opposed to the 1400ish that it usually is when running good and when its out of the water. All the fuses are good on the mpem. What tests could I do? I dont think it has anything to do with fuel being supplied because the plugs looked good... I was thinking something electrical. I originally thought rectifier but its not showing a 12v low or even the maint light anymore.

After reading a little more on the forums, it sounds like it could be the coil plug. The rear cylinder is the one that wont run when the other plug is out. compression is good on both cylinders (120). could it be running off the front cylinder when there isnt any water in the system and when under stress from water going through the system it is showing the problem in the other cylinder? Im going to swap the coil plugs and see if it will start on the other cylinder.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information