+1

'96 Wave Venture 1100 pump problem?

Hi, I'm new to the forum and first time ski owner. I bought a WV 1100 3 weeks ago with a trashed motor and built it from the crank up. I took it to the lake today and it ran fine for several 10 minute test runs then the last time I took it out, when it would come up on the pipe the motor would rev out but the boat had no significant thrust. It would move forward idling or at partial throttle but when getting on It, it's like the wheels are just spinning so to speak... In other words it seams like the impeller is spinning on the drive shaft. There is no noise or indication this is happening so I'm kinda stumped and really bummed this happened. Any suggestions what this might be before I have to tear the whole pump out of the thing again which I REALLY don't want to do.

Thanks for all help!

+1
    Check for trash in the pump, and check the impeller clearance. .010-.020, service limit .024. Impeller is threaded on the shaft, can't spin.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by butterbean_29512 View Post
    Check for trash in the pump, and check the impeller clearance. .010-.020, service limit .024. Impeller is threaded on the shaft, can't spin.
    no trash in the pump and the wear ring is new. have you ever heard of the shaft splines stripping at the coupler?

+1
    The splines do occasionally strip.....pull the pump to check. If the pump hasn't been out recently, you will need a rawhide mallet to hit it and coax it out. It will slide straight back out of the hull, disengaging from the splines.

Had a wear ring Crack on top of housing....never saw it till I pulled drive

+1
    Yeah I had the pump out, I rebuilt the drive train on this thing from the bottom up. That's what's so frustrating, I saw nothing to indicate stripped drive line. Now I'm gonna have to fight all the loctighted bolts etc etc. and pull the pump back out. Then, I have to pull the motor loose again so I can move it forward to get the coupler loose to get at that midshaft which is probably the culprit. I think that little shaft may have cracked around the outside allowing slippage, I don't know as I'm inexperienced at this. But what a bummer as the motor runs great.

Any tips or tricks I may need to know when replacing these items? Cheapest place to buy etc...?

Also, I felt the back side of the coupler which connects to that midshaft and it has some play in it which I assume is normal because it is rubber mounted but can there be too much play and then you get a sloppy condition wich could cause binding, etc which could cause these shafts to fail?

I checked my compression on all 3 cylinders with a neighbors tester and all cylinders are absolutely exactly the same 110 psi. I only have about 10-15 minutes of break-in time on the motor. What is normal for these 1100? I know the compression ratio is extremely low, something like 5.8:1 (am I correct?). I also realize gauges differ hugely but just wondered what was the norm for a new motor?

I'll check the wear ring as well.

Thanks guys!

+1
    Well, as it turns out I dodged a bullet. I took the ski to the lake today to run it on the trailer to confirm what I thought had happened. As it turns out something other than the drive line was the problem. The ski ran like a champ. Started great, idled great, came out of the hole like a rocket and top end was strong. Don't know what the prob was the other day but it was a stormy day with dust and wind and waves etc... It was a bit disorienting and everyone was kinda running for cover. It might have been something hung in the pump, it might have been the reverse bucket partially down, I don't know. All I know is it ran perfect today and break in is complete.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Now - for the last couple gallons I ran the thing hard, mid to full throttle and holeshots.... I pulled the plugs and they are tan to light brown, all identical. I'm a little worried I may be a little too lean. I set the low and high speed needles to the middle of what the service manual recommended. Should I now turn the screws out a 1/4 at a time to richen it up a bit? I mean, is this going to matter or may I need to re-jet possibly a little larger on the mains?

Also, those little needle jet screw heads are small and tight to get to in that triple carb set up. Do you guys use or know of a special tool that makes it easier to get to those for adjustment?

+1
    Probably a piece of trash like a plastic bag or something was in the pump. When you loaded up and pulled out of the water it was flushed out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    Probably a piece of trash like a plastic bag or something was in the pump. When you loaded up and pulled out of the water it was flushed out.
    Yeah, most likely. I was on the lake a few days ago up in a no wake section and there was a lot trash in the water coming down from the dam and when I came back out of the no wake zone I nailed it and the same thing happened, rev-out with no hook up. I jumped off and reached under the pump and pulled a wad of sea weed out of the grate. Took off just fine after that. I don't think it takes much. Just learning.

Thread Information