Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: OIL LEVEL

snapper455

OIL LEVEL

you should barly pull almost 4 quarts out when changing the oil. you are filling your motor to full of oil if you get more when changing it. the full level is in the middle between the 2 dots when hot and at the bottom dot when cold. if you fill it to the top dot you will pump about a half a quart of oil; into the intercooler after 5 hours of riding. and it will slow the boat down to 65mph. you must pull the intercooler and dump it out to get rid of it. Kawasaki on purpose has a little oil going from the catch can into the air box to lube the blower and coat the fins inside the intercooler to slow corrosion. but when you over fill the oil a bunch blows into the air box and gets trapped in the intercooler. This is caused by excess windage from the crank when overfilled. The excess windage causes pwr loss,,, also to much oil in the intercooler reduces the efinciancy of the IC. On this boat you CANNOT just put one of those stupid little filters on the top of the oil catch can!!!!!!!! The top of the catch can MUST return back to the intake side of the Supercharger!

This info is straight from Joe Hiem at Kawasaki race development.

Good Post. you know I always check the oil when the boat is "hot" and the boat is "level". jb

Snapper, funny that you brought this up about oil level. I took mine in today for the 10 hour service and I asked about the oil level. I told the guy that checked my ski that either I was checking the oil level incorrectly or mine was over full. After some converstation he told me that it may be just a little bit over.

He honstly did not know how to check the oil level, he looked at the cold side and told me it was suppose to be at the top bend (lack of a better word) in the dip stick, I tried to explain to him what the manual said and that it should be in the marked section of the stick on the cold side. I don't think I ever got it across to him. Needless to say I have order a pump to take some oil out.
    Last edited by ph2ocraft; 04-05-2007 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorne1053 View Post
    Snapper, funny that you brought this up about oil level. I took mine in today for the 10 hour service and I asked about the oil level. I told the guy that checked my ski that either I was checking the oil level incorrectly or mine was over full. After some converstation he told me that it may be just a little bit over.

He honstly did not know how to check the oil level, he looked at the cold side and told me it was suppose to be at the top bend (lack of a better word) in the dip stick, I tried to explain to him what the manual said and that it should be in the marked section of the stick on the cold side. I don't think I ever got it across to him. Needles to say I have order a pump to take some oil out.
    You can get an Oil Pump Suction Tool at any Wal Mart or Marine Store . .

Quote Originally Posted by rhorne1053 View Post
    ....He honstly did not know how to check the oil level, he looked at the cold side and told me it was suppose to be at the top bend (lack of a better word) in the dip stick, .....
    Well, you learn something new everyday. I just checked my ski. I have 6 hours on the ski. Just leveled the ski on the trailer and waited for 5 min then checked the dipstick. Checked it 3 times. The oil level on the COOL side of the stick is all the way up and COVERS the "L" in cool on my ski.

I guess it means that I have way too much oil in my system?

Can we just use one of those oil pump tools and drop it in the intercooler to pump out the extra oil in there instead of having to take the whole intercooler out? Maybe we can go thru one of the bottom hoses with the oil pump tool or something.

Judging from what snapper says, it seems like 1) I have way to much oil in the ski and 2) I probably, due to the hours, have extra oil in the intercooler

Is removing the intercooler difficult?

They did the same to mine. Dealer put in 5 quarts but no one know that they ship with some in it already. So it ends up being 6 quarts. I figured it when that filter thing blew oil all over the inside of my boat. Since oil change it doesnt happen.

Also found that EGT goes up with filter and down with hose into air box.

snapper455
    We did not want to wait so we pulled the intercooler to dump the oil after one of our boats got over filled from a dealer. But I would think if you adjusted the oil level to the correct level that after some time the air travling through the intercooler might remove it after a while?? The intercooler to a non mechanic would take some time maybe 2 hours to R and R. But really it is pretty easy to remove. Be sure and loctitie the 2 mount bolts. For racing we run the oil level a 1/2 quart low. it nets more speed and less oil going thru the supercharger.
    Last edited by ph2ocraft; 04-05-2007 at 08:34 PM.

snapper455
    Oh one more thing, don't screw around with the oil filter on this boat. only run the kawi factory filter don't put a gasket filter use only A o ring filter. the oil pressure is way over 100psi at startup. We have already seen probs with wix filters. one came in and the gasket pushed out. that why the factory uses a o-ring instead.

Snapper,

You responded to my other post about oil pumps with this same information. Did the boats come pre-filled from the factory or did the dealers fill them? I pulled 5+ quarts on the change and refilled with 5 quarts. Guess I now need to check the oil level (haven't ridden since the change).

Is there anyway to actually "check" to see if there is excess oil in the intercooler? Also, there is a little rubber tube pointing straight down in the very front of the engine. It comes off of a longer run of tubing. It's about four inches long, 1/2 diamater and has dripped some oil onto the styrofoam directly underneath it. Is this because of excess oil or what is the purpose of that little tube?

Thanks for any info, I'm completely paranoid now.

snapper455
    the overfilling will not damage the engine at all. it just suffers a little performance thats all. and will make you boat a little messy inside sometimes. they come pre filled. but a lot of dealers are seeing what they think is low oil during pre check and are adding oil, when it's not needed.

I am not sure what tube you are refering to. I will look when I get to work.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information