Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

my first ride on the 2014 fx svho cruiser

2014 fx svho Cruiser
    WOW! Yamaha WOW!
    Negatives:
    Not many to mention here. Only couple of things bothered me.
    1. Only 35 gallons of storage. A craft this size should have more. The dry storage near the gauge is awesome. The rope storage at the very back of the ski is very useful.

2. The dreaded 25 to 30 mph chine walk. It just cant decide what chine it wants to be on at that speed. Happens more with passengers and I understand it but for newbies the feeling of chine walking can be scary or concerning.
    Positives:
    1. So after racing my GPR at Perris with skis this size I finally understand why I was getting tossed about like a potatoe chip in a tornado and why I was physically tired at the end of 1 moto. This thing is smooth as silk out of a spiders ass in 2 to 3 foot of chop. I could ride this thing for hours on end and not be near as tired as 10 minutes closed course race on my carbon fiber bullet GPRSHO.
    2. Power was pretty darn impressive for a stock machine. Yeah for us speed demons 70mph is not enough but....for joeshmo newb this machine has more than enough top end.
    3.Fuel economy was not bad at all considering the shear size and the fact
    that its a 1.8 liter super charged ski. We rode 3.5 hours hammering on this thing and used 1/2 tank of fuel. Dont worry we properly broke it in by riding it like we stole it.
    4.Handling is pretty sweet hey Shamu can carve a turn. I was very happy to pull tighter and tighter turns and the hull and pump never slid out always answered back with a growl and heart stopping accelerations(for a stock ski). no cavitation
    5. Holeshot...holy crap Yamaha finally a ski that has one. Man you grab a handful better be ready for no cavitation and an immediate movement forward the old days of cavitation on a yamaha watercraft are over with this craft.
    6. Comfort...well its a cruiser model it has every bell and whistle that the top of the line yamaha should and probably should not have. Seat is awesome, tilt steering is perfect, gauge package is over the top with compass, lake water temp, air temp, gallons per hour burned and miles per gallon.
    I give this craft a solid 9 out of 10. Dont let this nearly silent watercraft fool you this dawg may not have a loud bark but she has a hell of a bite and is a match for any other 3 seat rough water ski out there.

+1
    Well, there you go....

I'm with you on all of that, just wish they'd offer the cruiser without the cruiser seat. Anyway, the best soup usually has a fly in it somewhere...

Some colourful turns of phrase there Joe... I enjoyed that mini review!

I switched from a 2014 fzr to fx svho and yea this ski is all that
    Love it. Every time I go out I like it more and more. I used to ride every other sunday with the fzr now with the fx I ride every weekend since it does not beat me up. I give yamaha 2 thumbs up on this ski

+1
    I just bought the same ski and have been out on it twice now. I agree on all points, especially the storage!! It is pitiful that a craft this size has the storage it does. I can't believe how large the Kawasaki storage is, Yamaha, please take note.

On the walking back and fourth, I also agree here too. I spoke to Jim about this and he said his cut plate helps this a bunch. This will be my first mod on the FX.

On a final note, all the positives far out weigh these two small negatives. This ski is awesome!!

5. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by Yamatr3 View Post
    I just bought the same ski and have been out on it twice now. I agree on all points, especially the storage!! It is pitiful that a craft this size has the storage it does. I can't believe how large the Kawasaki storage is, Yamaha, please take note.

On the walking back and fourth, I also agree here too. I spoke to Jim about this and he said his cut plate helps this a bunch. This will be my first mod on the FX.

On a final note, all the positives far out weigh these two small negatives. This ski is awesome!!
    What are the benefits to Jims cut fx plate I cant seem to get an answer on speed gains and rough water handling

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Miamifzs2013 View Post

What are the benefits to Jims cut fx plate I cant seem to get an answer on speed gains and rough water handling
    He said it mainly takes care of the wandering with the ski and improves top speed by 2mph. We didn't really get into the rough water handling in detail although he did mention he thought it was better.

+1

my first ride on the 2014 fx svho cruiser

He said it mainly takes care of the wandering with the ski and improves top speed by 2mph. We didn't really get into the rough water handling in detail although he did mention he thought it was better.
    Indeed. I picked up 2mph with it. It's a good plate.

Congrats on the new ski!

9. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by nashvegas View Post

Indeed. I picked up 2mph with it. It's a good plate.

Congrats on the new ski!
    I have 9.6 hours on my 2014 FX Cruiser SVHO and absolutely love it! I just got the 10 hour service on it and hope to take it out this weekend on Sacandaga Lake in upstate NY.

The review seems pretty accurate! I love the machine and the power is incredible for a newb like myself.

The only thing I am concerned with at times is the 2 person ride when the waves get larger. It walks away from me and I have to fiddle with it to get it back level/straight. Is that the chine walk or wandering that others are referring to?

I heard the R&D sponson upgrade helps to cure that. I am also curious about this Ride Plate upgrade and how that helps it to increase top speed? Who does that kind of work for how much $$$? What is the turnaround time? Is the ride plate hard for me to take on and off myself?

I have only been able to get her up to 69mph so far. But, that was with me and another adult rider. I weigh 269 lbs and my passenger was about 180lbs. So, I was pretty happy it hit 69mph. I want to try and ride it alone and play with the trim settings to see if that will help versus just being in Neutral.

The other safety mod I was thinking of was the Surge Valve Kit to help prolong the life of my supercharger.

Any other suggestions?

+1
    Get Jim's ride plate mod, the Yamaha SVHO is so easy. 4 screws holding the speedo wheel and 4 bolts holding the plate on. My gtr215 was a pain in the a$$. Pull the pump, the intake grate, remove the coolant lines inside the hull going to the ride plate,use a bottle jack in the pump area to separate the plate from the hull, clean off all the old sealant. Its a no brainer on the Yamaha, way to easy and the ski goes straight now. Only complaint I have is with the cruiser seat. It puts the passengers up higher, changing your center of gravity. If they lean out to one side it greatly effects the balance. I didn't notice this as much on my old SHO.

+1
    To change out ride plate & or intake grate is easy-peasy! Changing grates, ride plates, shoes, nozzles, plugs, compression checks, sponsons ... all DIY

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information