+1

Audio system on the msx how to.

I recently started a msx build and decided to install some tunes. This is in my build thread but some may want a more audio oriented thread instead of the entire ski getting rebuilt.

Now I saw many different type of pwc sound systems. The problem is they all were small and under powered and reminded me of a motorcycle system. Loud and screechy missing any mid tone at all.

Some things to consider.
    -The msx generally has no more than 25 amps provided at 3000 rpms. So don't go over that without a separate battery.
    -location is another issue as there is not much room and I hate those speakers that mount in the mirrors. Looks like dumbo, but some don't like cutting into the hull.
    -Cost, what is your budget? I recommend at least $600 for a nice system
    -speaker and amp balancing. You don't want a amp that to big or to small. 200-400 watts rms At 4 holm is plenty for three speakers.
    -type of speaker totally up to you but I like JL, focal and polk. The reason is they sound great, can take a pounding, and don't require large amounts of power to sound good.
    -longevity, it's a marine system. Just how long do you think it will last on a pwc.

The system I went with was.
    -RE Audio bt900. Blue tooth amp. (Non marine version, marine version not out yet but soon)
    -Polk 5.25"x 1" marine component set. Small light weight magnet structure with rare earth magnet. A larger 6.5" component would have sat to low for my foot to fit on the traction mat still.
    -JL Audio 6.5" W3 subwoofer.

Now you can use any number of setups and amps. The reason I went with this amp is it does not need a head unit or a blue tooth module. The best blue tooth modules sounds like shit and drop connection and required an app. This unit works out to 100 feet and is solid and no application needed. The next selling point for the amp is it's low volt shut off that kicks in at around 11.4 volts. This should still leave enough juice to start the ski. So no dead battery from the sound system being left running to long. This feature cost about 100 bucks to add to a regular amp without it. The speakers are made with neodymium magnets and the magnet on the woofer is about one inch in diameter yet they rip. As a result they are light as hell. The subwoofer will fit where the exhaust resonator was with ease.

I am still waiting on the sub and won't build the box until then but here is what I decided to do about mounting the speakers. A 4.5" hole saw and a 2" hole saw did the trick. It is important to make a grid out of tape on either side where you intend to mount the speakers to keep it symmetrical. Also tape off the area to be cut. I used a shop vacuum to keep the fiber glass dust down. The deck is about 1/2" thick and a great mounting surface. Draw the holes first around the grill and check that they look correct. It is important to insure the speaker grill will sit flat. Then double check it. Then sleep on it. Then check it all again. Then have a beer or two and go at it don't fu*# up.

Split loom will hide the wires if you take your time.

I mounted the cross overs behind the fire extinguisher.

Now the amp is not a marine unit and they will have a marine version of this amp out soon but I can't wait. So I mounted it in a dry spot, or so it should stay unless I sink it. It needs an 8 gauge positive and ground wire, nothing bigger is needed for such a short run. Installing the the amp is the tricky part. Most weigh to much to use the foam and some have recommended large zip ties and that seems to be the best way to go unless you like glass work.

I will post pics of the sub box and how I mount it once I am done. I am not going for a boom just trying to fill in the mid tones.

This will take a full day if you know what you are doing from start to finish including building the box for the speaker. It's only 8.5" x 8.5" x 6.25" Total cost for this system was $700 and will drive you off the ski. No distortion.

Hope someone finds this helpful or entertaining.

Last edited by hill160881; 07-30-2014 at 08:28 PM.

+1
    Did you get that sub in yet?

+1
    I found you could not hear it without the seat or front hatch open and the can out. It does make a difference on the beach though.

Banned User
    +1
    How does it sound without the sub?

+1
    It sounds ok but it needs another component set in the rear not the sub. I can hear it fine up to about 45mph. After that to much wind noise to enjoy it.

Thread Information