2005 RXP Motor Knocking Noise Please Help!

I purchased 2 2005 rxp's last November. I have put about 15 hours on both of them. About a month ago I started getting an oil light on the one. I brought it to my local dealer and they said they could not reproduce the problem but they replaced both sensors. The first time I took it out it ran for about 45 minutes and then the oil light came on. I Changed the oil filter on it to see if that would fix the problem. When I brought it out the next day to test if that fixed the problem the Jet Ski ran for about a minute and then just died. Initially I just thought it was a battery problem so I trickle charged it overnight and brought it back out again. When I started the Jet Ski again it started making a really loud knocking noise so I turned it off immediately. I also noticed that the oil cap blew off and some oil was splattered inside. I brought it back to the dealer again and now they are telling me I need a whole new motor. We checked the oil and it was dry!

I am very upset because I feel that this dealer ship has screwed me. I am wondering if anyone can help me out as far as if I really do need a new motor or if I could take it somewhere else and have it fixed. For example if the rod is broken have it replaced or whatever the problem maybe be instead of buying a whole new engine.

Thank you in advance for any comments or help
    Tom.

+1
    buy a new motor, probably punched a hole in the block. No oil in the engine doesn't mean it was out, once the engine broke the oil probably escaped.

+1
    Welcome to the GH
    there are no quick answers
    your engine out of oil is bad
    oil filter may have leaked or even the SC broke and filled the motor with junk
    which destroys the oil pump and the motor
    Do you know when the SC were rebuilt/updated
    if not get your other SC updated ASAP

Quote Originally Posted by skidoochris View Post
    Welcome to the GH
    there are no quick answers
    your engine out of oil is bad
    oil filter may have leaked or even the SC broke and filled the motor with junk
    which destroys the oil pump and the motor
    Do you know when the SC were rebuilt/updated
    if not get your other SC updated ASAP

I am not sure what you mean by "SC" Super charger? Both skis only have 60-65 hours on them. Do you know how much i should be paying for a new motor?

Thanks for your reply

+1
    yes the SCers on your 05's are known to have bad parts from the factory
    if you do not know that they have been upgraded have it done ASAP

+1
    Yep, time for new motor and a SC rebuild. Sorry to hear about your problems and welcome to GH.

+1
    Check your oil filter for shavings........you might just have a knocking rod which can be cheaper to fix than buying a new motor. If you Don't know how to work on engines at all then a new motor might be your only option.......if you're willing to learn and have a little patience you you might be able to fix it yourself. at the very least you can pull your spark plugs and see if all three pistons are still traveling up and down with nothing impeding the travel (like a dropped valve). If they are you may be able to save the motor. As long as the block isn't trashed.

I spun a bearing on No2 cylinder 10 hours after I bought my ski ........Crank, Rod, piston, gaskets, Bolts timing chain and other miscellaneous stuff wound up costing me about 1500 to get it back in the water......The Crank is the pricey piece $600 + $100 damaged core fee.........Add $300 for rebuilding the SC.

Thread Information