Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

I think I want a fuel injected Polaris...

Am I mental? Lol. For some reason I am drawn toward the fuel injected models (genesis, msx 140, virage in that order). I know if the EMM goes bad it can be expensive to repair, but I also would be comfortable using POdiag to troubleshoot. I welcome comments talking me or out of this quest

Fuel injected two strokes are great! (when they are working) the problem is there are fewer parts, because the heads and other parts are sometimes different, and problems are harder to diagnose (and its harder to find experts for the tough problems). They are also a PITA to mod.

Its all about your comfort level. Do you get easily frustrated? do you have any hair left that you dont wanna pull out?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by HiPeRcO View Post
    Am I mental? Lol. For some reason I am drawn toward the fuel injected models (genesis, msx 140, virage in that order). I know if the EMM goes bad it can be expensive to repair, but I also would be comfortable using POdiag to troubleshoot. I welcome comments talking me or out of this quest
    I've got a Virage I that runs like a top if you've got the bug that bad. Plus the EMM has already been fixed by DFI.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lilman573 View Post
    I've got a Virage I that runs like a top if you've got the bug that bad. Plus the EMM has already been fixed by DFI.
    I'm in upstate NY, where are you?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lilman573 View Post
    I'm in upstate NY, where are you?
    Central NJ.

+1

I think I want a fuel injected Polaris...

tempt..... Haha
    Last edited by lilman573; 07-28-2014 at 02:12 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    ... For some reason I am drawn toward the fuel injected models (Genesis, MS 140, Virage in that order).

I know if the EMM goes bad it can be expensive to repair, but I also would be comfortable using POdiag to troubleshoot.

I welcome comments talking me in or out of this quest
    I almost never need PODIAG or Digitial Wrench, and I have worked on a number of Ficht direct fuel injected Polaris.

There is a (fairly short) list of known Ficht issues, many of which involve straightforward maintenance or minor modifications. Once the up front work is done these machines tend to be reliable.

As BryanP has noted elsewhere, the cost of a full EMM repair is similar to the cost of a new domestic CDI or Ignition Update Kit for the carburetor engines.

Mechanical work is very similar across both carb and DI versions of the engines.

Among the aspects of the Ficht engines I like is the smooth throttle response across the RPM range, the reliable starting, no choke or fuel selector valve to mess with. The EMM automatically compensates for altitude, barometric pressure and air temperature.

Fuel economy, especially cruising at mid-range (circa 5000RPM) is quite good. Both Virage TXi and MSX 140 will travel a little over 100 miles on a tank. The two cylinder Virage i might go even farther.

I never need to think about carburetor rebuilds or even fuel filters.

+1
    Thanks all for the replies so far.

@K447, if I do buy a FI Polaris, I hope you'll still be hanging around here for advice

@lilman573, thats a nice machine you've got there, feel free to put the photo back

Banned User
    +1
    The only draw back to the DI machines is the fact that you really can't mod them. If you want a stock ski to ride around on they can't be beat.

+1
    I sense some love for the MSX 140's. Discuss

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information